Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    An override spring switch for when the engine is hot, to override your system for overriding the fuel pump if there is no oil pressure.........

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    An override spring switch for when the engine is hot, to override your system for overriding the fuel pump if there is no oil pressure.........
    An override override. I like it.

I just run without a choke. When cold, it cranks long enough before it fires to get the oil circulated. When hot, it doesn't matter as oil will already be everywhere.

Not so easy on the starter motor though....

By the way, I understand not wanting to put a load on your engine until some oil has circulated, but I doubt it's a problem. I've taken engines apart that havn't run for a couple years and the journals were still wet with oil.
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

This is probably a good idea in an accident situation whereby if the engine stops so does the fuel pump. This would mean that if the tree doesn't move out of the way fast enough at least you don't sit there with the engine in your lap listening to the fuel pump disgorging 12 gallons of unleaded into the footwell. That would definitely ruin your day.
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Hi,

Have you thought about using an inertia switch to cut the pump out in the event of a bump? I lifted one from an old Citroen Saxo and fixed it to the Chassis next to the fuse box/ relays so it can be easily reset if required.

They are availble both new and old from eBay sellers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254538535443

Quote Originally Posted by Sumocobra View Post
    Hi,

Have you thought about using an inertia switch to cut the pump out in the event of a bump? I lifted one from an old Citroen Saxo and fixed it to the Chassis next to the fuse box/ relays so it can be easily reset if required.

They are availble both new and old from eBay sellers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254538535443
    Nothing wrong with that idea,
    it would be a straight forward simple job to do .
    As I mentioned before, my RV 8 engine is dependent on
    oil pressure to run but if someone wacks into you that will
    not necessarily stop the engine.
    I have an inertia switch sitting in my garage that I have
    been meaning to fit .
    I will get on and fit it !
    Chris.

I installed the Fiat Panda inertia switch, plus audible alarm to alert me to it being triggered, when I replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electric one.

I've now installed the override override mentioned previously in this thread so that I can still start it when the oil is hot and it's more difficult to achieve the minimum oil pressure just by cranking, but the engine will cut out if the pressure drops, even of the carb float bowls are full.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12