Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi Russ, Thanks for your thoughts and it kind of makes sense in terms of sag vs spring compression. I guess I can use the ratio as a basic guide, as the one thing your idea misses is leverage. e.g. 300KG weight would need around 600lbs springs with no leverage ratio to allow a little sag. I know I have way too much preload on the 450's to get an acceptable ride height. I agree at around £20 per spring it is not much of an issue but the 10" springs are more like £50 which isnt that bad but adds up and changing them is quite a lot of hours work stripping the whole lot down!
    I will measure the max length of the shock adjustment range to see how much preload the 10.5" needs. Its raining today so looks like a garage day!
    Thanks!
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Sourced my springs from http://www.dfaulknersprings.com. You could have a chat with them, they were very helpful.

Hi,

Have you tried an online calculator like the one in this link? You plumb in some information about your suspension geometry and weights and it gives you figure for spring rate

https://www.ridetech.com/tech/spring-rate-calculator/

Been doing some measuring today and using some of the calculators like Ridetech.
    The interesting thing is the extended length for the spring with minimal preload is 9" so there is 1" of preload just to get started. Im a little surprised at that as it seems quite a lot.
    Using the calculators It does looks like 500lbs should be ok, but I certainly wont be able to go with the 10.5" springs as in my mind 10" already seems long.
    Anyone else stripped their shocks and found the spring is preloaded 1" even on absolute minimum adjustment ?
    I bought these from Southern Roadcraft so it must have been the standard.
    Certainly makes me think I could go for 9" springs on the rear to bring it down a little as I am on absolute min preload on the rear and still running high like all SR's
    Paul

Been looking through old threads this evening and it is really odd that people mention 10" and 9" springs on the same 13" shocks on the SRV8. So perhaps both lengths are ok if the spring rate is high enough.
    Paul

Just to add to the confusion, I found this the other day while looking into AK shocks and springs https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...nch-springs-pf I think AK (Gen1) are 13" with 9" springs so even more confusing.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

this short thread has some spring/shock info that clarkson uses:

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showt...rv8+%2Bsprings

i used the search option (top right of forum page and entered

+srv8 +springs

give me a shed load of results regarding springs etc on the SRV8

rgds
    Gary
    Conny - A Carnival Red Metallic (paint code Ref: Jag CGG/1811) Southern Roadcraft V8 ( SRV8 ) with 383ci stroker chevy.

Funny I messaged with Dave Clarkson today ! Decided to go with 9" springs like he has. Cheap and easy. Still confused why the ones on there are so long.
    Paul

Quick update as reference for anyone with an SRV8. I found my original receipt from when I purchased them from Southern Roadcraft many years ago (1993!!!). Interestingly the front springs we 9" long and the rears were 10" long, even though the shock bodies seem to be the same front and rear. Rear springs were rated at 210lbs.
    I have sourced some 9" 500lbs springs for the front but not got round to fitting them yet, but hopefully they will firm up the front a little and then I will look at 9" springs for the back, probably again a little firmer to lower the rear.
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12