Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifting advice

My two poster fits under a 2.5m ceiling.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

I had the same concerns about concrete thickness and am pretty sure I dont have the recommended depth. I didn't want 4 post as wanted to be able to work with wheels off on brakes/suspension etc at waist height. Scissor lift covered too much of the underside for my liking.

Went with semi portable 2 post from SJR. Epoxy anchors with stainless studs in to the floor and braced the top of each post to the structure of the garage using 2 pieces of heavy duty angle iron - it actually came as part of the packing frame of the lift. In photos can just about see the yellow angle iron in the AK shot. I would be lying if I said I didnt check the base each time I lift to make sure it hasnt moved but that seems prudent anyway! Have had a Jaguar F Pace up on it and all good so far - 5 years later.

Love it and agree with others that whatever you get it will change your life, do so many jobs now that I wouldnt have done before. Have an old office chair and sit under the car as the height is limited. MGF is currently sitting up there and has been for 2 months with subframes and engine etc all out.

IMG_0444.JPG

MG.jpg
    Andrew
    AK Gen1 - Ford 351W - Dream come true

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Cheers Chris - I googled "nottingham garage equipment" and that was the first place that popped up; still boggles my mind that anyone gets by in business without a website in 2020! I was curious - I have a mid-rise mobile scissor lift which has been excellent, but does occasionally get in the way if I want to do anything around the outer chassis outriggers (like seat bolts, exhaust hangers) because the wide platforms are so close to the underside of the car when it's up on the lifting pads.

A 2-poster is the dream, but I don't have the head height without taking the roof off the garage
    Or even 2021
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

Appreciate you don't like 2 post lifts but another vote for them. Many years ago I served my time as a car mechanic.

We had 4 post and 2 posts lifts in both places I worked. Everyone there made a dive for the 2 post lifts. They are just so much better to use. Instant access to the suspension and better access to the sill areas.

I'm putting one in at some stage, it will be a 2 post. Have a friend who's just fitted one. A German company but openly saying they having them made in China. I had a look at it and the quality was superb.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    My two poster fits under a 2.5m ceiling.
    I can't speak for Lee, but my problem is the garage door frame - it's a sectional door so the frame eats another ~12" or so of head height .. and it was a low ceiling to begin with. The Cobra will go all the way up on the scissor (~1m) just, but the MINI only goes to the bottom lock otherwise releasing it (which requires going up a bit to disengage the locks) would mash the roof into the door frame D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    Or even 2021
    I am reasonably sure it's still March 2020.. the never-ending month!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by adw250 View Post
    I had the same concerns about concrete thickness and am pretty sure I dont have the recommended depth. I didn't want 4 post as wanted to be able to work with wheels off on brakes/suspension etc at waist height. Scissor lift covered too much of the underside for my liking.

Went with semi portable 2 post from SJR. Epoxy anchors with stainless studs in to the floor and braced the top of each post to the structure of the garage using 2 pieces of heavy duty angle iron - it actually came as part of the packing frame of the lift. In photos can just about see the yellow angle iron in the AK shot. I would be lying if I said I didnt check the base each time I lift to make sure it hasnt moved but that seems prudent anyway! Have had a Jaguar F Pace up on it and all good so far - 5 years later.

Love it and agree with others that whatever you get it will change your life, do so many jobs now that I wouldnt have done before. Have an old office chair and sit under the car as the height is limited. MGF is currently sitting up there and has been for 2 months with subframes and engine etc all out.

IMG_0444.JPG

MG.jpg
    That looks similar to mine (apart from it's red and mine's the much better blue colour). I also had a plan to brace it simiar to yours if I had any issues. Plan A was to put a brace across the tops to stop pulling inward, plan B was to fix this also to the garage ceiling to stop fore-aft movement (alghough I than had visions of pulling the garage roof off). Obviously both could be combined, plan A-B if you like.
    Never seen any movement at the base (I also check regularly) and although not as heavy as an F pace it lifted the Skoda no problem and that's probably double the weight of the Cobra.
    Would really hate to be without it now, probably the best tool I've ever bought, even simple jobs are better with the car lifted up a few inches. I'm working on the ignition system at the moment and just having it off the floor around 1 foot makes life much easier on my back when working under the bonnet.
    Even though I'm limited on head height due to ceiling (can't even use the full height of the lift) I can get my other car underneath (luckily that's not very high either).

Can't praise it enough as you can probably tell.

Carpark of Unearthly Delights (Sussex Division)
    Quote Originally Posted by KugaWestie View Post
    I also have a 1m lift scissor which works really well.
    The good thing for me with a scissor is that it is all under the car and does not take any space down the sides of the car.

I am amazed at how much I use it so whichever option you choose will be an eye opener
    I'm just glad the old lift is getting some use these days
    Richard

"We're going to need bigger brakes"

Quote Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
    I'm just glad the old lift is getting some use these days
    Hi Richard.
    Yes it gets used almost every time I am in the garage
    Classic Replica Viper currently in build

20200827_185804.jpg two post, wouldn't be without it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12