Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The dangers of failing wheel bearings!

Anyone see the case in the press of the 11 year old girl killed by a wheel? Really sad story https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...eventable.html

The article suggests the bearing was incorrectly assembled, even that the outer bearing was not in place. It is difficult to believe anyone would put a hub together and not put in the outer bearing but I guess these people exist! If true, it is people like the person referred to that give the car modifying scene a bad name.

Anyway, it highlights the danger of having a wheel bearing completely fail. Catastrophic bearing failure has happened to me. It was on a commercial vehicle with loads of studs on the wheel. One nut in the centre holding the hub on and bearing tight! That just seems odd but is how it has to be. The bearing seized and the heat welded the bearing to the nut, sheared the nut and then the whole wheel and hub assembly came off. Luckily it caught in the skirts of the vehicle and didn't do any harm to others. Incredible that can happen without you hearing or feeling it although a bit more understandable on a commercial, noisy diesel! Just goes to show how these things can happen.

I have had them start making a rumbling noise in my road cars and changed them accordingly but I reckon if not checked in a cobra you would have to rely on feeling it before you heard it (well that's true for mine anyway). Another one for the winter maintenance list??
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Discos and their ilk do seem to wander like a drunk on their way home from the pub at the best of times, and likely even worse with the huge mud pluggers on, but even then I find it hard to believe you wouldn't notice if the entire outer bearing was missing!

8 cars in 12 months of driving, probably all "swapsies" via Facebook says he's a certain kind of person, though.. and likely just didn't care.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

How did that not result in any prosecution? Can only imagine the driver/owner was a mason or had diplomatic immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    How did that not result in any prosecution? Can only imagine the driver/owner was a mason or had diplomatic immunity.
    Have to say this, I've not yet read the article about the incident
    but would say that a friend of mine and my dad is on the square
    and back in eighties after leaving a ladies evening he was stopped,
    breathalysed and prosecuted for drink driving.
    He was only slightly over but non the less a danger to other road users.
    The point is he did not get away with it and quit rightly so .
    Chris.

Similarly, someone buys a classic car that is MOT exempt and doesn't have the skill set to maintain it.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    The latter works well in these parts, apparently.

I'm betting he belonged to another part of society, though.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

If they couldn't prove that the driver duffed up changing the bearing then there is no prosecution

At an MOT with the cobra the tester had a front wheel jacked up and pulled it about to check the bearing etc. He said the bearing was ‘grumbling’ and I would have no chance of hearing it when driving along in ‘that beast’. He said the wheel can actually come off if the bearing did fail - I hadn’t realised that. I was glad of the test, and new bearing, and avoiding the horror of the possible consequence.
    Nuf Said

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    The latter works well in these parts, apparently.
    Where do I join ? It might stop them nicking me again for my number plate spacing. Road safety team my @r$e.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestarter29 View Post
    Where do I join ? It might stop them nicking me again for my number plate spacing. Road safety team my @r$e.
    Glad to see you’re over that now David
    Dek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast