Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another newbie

Another newbie

Hi all,

Just joined the forum to hopefully get plugged into a network of kit car Cobra owners. I'm based near Lewes in East Sussex and have been wanting to build a Cobra Replica ever since I attended a kit car show in Stoneleigh about 20 years ago. Anyway, I've finally decided to bite the bullet and start it this year with a view to this being a multi-year project I can do with my two boys. I'm not a mechanic by any stretch but have done some basic maintenance over the years - changing brake pads and discs, changing radiator, changing wishbones, oil changes etc. I'm planning to spend a few months researching which is the best kit to get and what tools I will need to make life as easy as possible. I'm particularly keen on the coupe/Daytona model. I'm thinking my budget is probably around £30k all in - perhaps a little more to get the right car at the end of the project.

I'd love to connect with people who have built the various kits on the market to get an idea of which companies offer the best kits in terms of quality of the parts and instructions and which ones offer the best customer service and advice post purchase.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to connecting with this group.

Cheers
    Steve

Hi Steve.
    Welcome aboard.
    For a coupe I think £30k will be ambitious, but possible with careful planning. As you are not in a hurry to complete the car you will have plenty of time to wait for parts to come up at the right price.
    Tools: Socket sets in both metric and imperial, trolley jack, axle stands, bench and vice, angle grinder, hacksaw, hammers, screwdrivers etc.... Just the usual stuff. If you don't have an engine hoist you can usually hire one when needed.
    Coupe kits are few and far between. In Europe you have Dax, if you look to the USA then Factory 5 who have a UK agent. I do one, but just a bit over your budget :-O
    Pro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

There's a chap on Instagram building the Dax Coupe - I would suggest having a chat to him about his experiences and budget: https://www.instagram.com/_danbuilds/
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Many years ago now I remember a guy with the handle "Plod" on here had a Daytona. I didn't like the rear axle location ( cart springs ) at all, and it had a tendency to bottom out, plus a ridiculously low rear axle ratio, were issues.

However I believe it was the first of its type imported into the UK so no doubt improvements to the kit have been made over the years.
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

Thanks Dave. Looks like I've got all the tools apart from engine hoist. Checked out your site and yes, a bit over my budget at the moment! I was aware of Dax and Factory-Five but didn't realise Factory-Five had a UK agent so I'll look into them, thanks!

Thanks Aaron - I check out the Instagram site

Hi I’m the uk agent for FFR. Feel free to give us a call at some point and chat about a coupe. I think £30k is gonna be tight but again if your not in a rush to build it we could spread the build. My number is 07494339929

Look forward to chat.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by vr6steve View Post
    Thanks Aaron - I check out the Instagram site
    He's a nice chap - we've chatted a few times about his build. I am slightly ashamed that he started his Daytona about eight years after I started my 427 and is well ahead of me already

If I were doing a Daytona? I think I'd be very tempted by a Factory Five. I haven't followed any FF Daytona builds but have followed a few 427 builds and the fit & finish of the kit looks superb. I know the originality police will be along in a minute to tell me all the ways they look wrong though
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Hi Steve

your experience sounds pretty similar to mine when I started building my Dax, I had done a bit of general servicing and maintenance and the most complicated thing I had done on a car up to that point was a timing chain on a nissan micra. I didnt start with any special tools other than what you would normally have accumulated from doing the jobs on a car you described. Since then I am fully signed up to the church of "he who dies with the most tools wins"

I borrowed an engine crane from a friend, actually I borrowed two and had a very dodgy arrangement with giant bit of angle as I couldnt get the reach required to get the engine in with the cranes available to borrow for free

With regards budget I completed my build 7 years ago and excluding paint I think I just scraped in 30k on a dax de dion. I could have trimmed that to possibly 27 or 28 by being more frugal on engine spec

I went for the cheaper (at the time) used getrag gearbox instead of a new tremec, did my own interior and dash from scratch, no brightwork etc. I did however buy the suspension bits refurbished from Dax. If I had done that myself that would have saved a little bit more.

30k now for a completed car is going to be a tough job but possible if your willing to wait for the right stuff to come up as Dave B says, maybe consider half finished or stalled projects for sale? I can appreciate though you may prefer to start a new build (I knew I would) so you can call the car entirely your own. If your heart is set on a Daytona though a part-build for sale is extremely unlikely

Dave A

Suggest you have a chat with Antthony at Abs Horsepower about Coup vs roadster. He's built all of them (except DBs).
    When this lockdown's over, you can have a look at mine (not a coupe though) or I could pop over - I'm 20 mins North of Worthing.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast