Engine bay wiring loom routing.

Hi guys,

Hopefully an easy one. When routing the loom around the engine bay does it get secured to the bulkhead on the ss cladding or does it route over the engine itself? Any pics would be much appreciated please. If it goes over the engine how is it secured?

Cheers boys n girls.

Andy

Hi,

Route and clip all wiring with p-clips around the top edges. You will have to route across the engine bay from left to right for some wiring . I use the bulkhead and front cross member routing in clip on plastic cover conduit.

This comes in different sizes then use P-clips to secure to the bulk head. To hide the wiring routing into wings can hide the wiring or under the top edge inside the engine bay.

I have added some useful links.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/split-...m-id-per-metre

https://youtu.be/pjSoOtt07Zg

https://youtu.be/kGX0CKCd6Kc

Heat is your enemy in the engine bay for electrical wiring. Heat ages and cracks the insulation over time. Using silicone insulated wiring is better were you have heat from the exhaust headers and always solder then heat shrink wiring connections.
    Never use Scotchlocks the crimp connectors. These will give you problems in the future.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jon1d; 28-01-21 at 11:49 AM.
    Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

The AK loom exits the cockpit to the engine bay at either side (high and wide), you'll need fix it to the fibreglas between the bulkhead and the wheel arch, then there should be pre-drilled holes where the arch meets the fibreglass (already fitted with zip ties) to get to the front lights.

The engine loom will depend your engine, but the start connections will exit the cockpit by your feet and connect to the starter motor.

Sender wires are clipped to the chassis as much as you can, I would avoid fixing the engine as much as you can.

If you fit cable tie saddles to the chassis (outside the cockpit) they will need to be drilled and pop riveted.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

Few pics of mine, although its an LS3 engine:
    www.russhowell.com
    look at the engine and wiring sections.
    The loom from AK for lights is barely visible in the engine bay as it only goes to starter (at drivers feet) and down each wing above the box sections for lights, and washer pump.
    The engine management loom is a beast but can be laid into valley of the engine etc.

Good luck.

Thanks guys, it was mainly where the loom crosses from drivers side to passenger side in the engine bay. It looks like I need to secure to the bulkhead using p clips. Just want it tidy and IVA friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyr171 View Post
    Thanks guys, it was mainly where the loom crosses from drivers side to passenger side in the engine bay. It looks like I need to secure to the bulkhead using p clips. Just want it tidy and IVA friendly.
    The AK car loom goes from drivers side to passenger side in the cockpit, not the engine bay.
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

I’ve attached the loom as per the instructions in the cockpit across the scuttle. All the legs are routed to the correct places through the holes with grommets. It’s just the engine bay leg that I was asking about, once it’s in the engine bay routing to the tacho, washer pump, oil px sender then round to the alternator, water temp sender etc. I’m a geordie so my English isn’t so good. Haha.

Andy,

PM me your email and I'll send you some pics of how I routed mine..