Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    You are not going to want to go as fast on an unlit country road compared to a lit motorway, so not sure what the problem is?
    I beg to differ, good Sir

There is a difference between the two. PL700 is beam throw left or right handed while P700 is straight dip beam and not handed. So a PL700 will light up the verge more .

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I beg to differ, good Sir
    Perhaps we can discuss that when I come up and have a (night) drive out in that Dax
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    There is a difference between the two. PL700 is beam throw left or right handed while P700 is straight dip beam and not handed. So a PL700 will light up the verge more .
    Thanks for that info,
    I just need to try and source a pair of decent lamps due to their being a lot of crap about.
    The lamps that I already have are the sealed beam type which are ok and have had these
    for about twenty years with no issues at mot time .
    For obvious reasons I don't want to upgrade to something that could be worse.
    It is difficult to get genuine Lucas units, not that they were best but were made to a
    decent standard.
    Chris.

I have good quality PL700’s in my car, they are definitely a compromise between looks and performance. The main issue I have with the is the beam focus. I have standard (but higher power) bulbs in them and the light output is adequate, but the difference between high and low beam is too great. When adjusted to give decent high beam coverage, low beam is too low, with low beam adjusted for comfortable driving, high beam is too high. As both units are the same it’s not an issue with the individual units, rather bad design and/or (cheap) production. If you’re after lighting up the road like a modern car (any modern car frankly) get a f**** big pair of modern spots 👍
    WARNING: Translation of author's random thoughts may have resulted in the unintended introduction of grammatical errors, typos, technical inaccuracies, lies, propaganda, rhetoric, blasphemy, rambling, and/or exhibition of shocking levels of ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I live in the rural Cotswolds. Not even street lights in the village and deer frequently appear from the hedgerows. The muntjac are the worse. They just amble even when you’re bearing down on them. Good lights essential
    Had an encounter with a deer in 2013 one evening in my E46 330....about 200 yards from your place Chris! I'll find the picture...
    Last edited by justinb; 19-10-21 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justinb View Post
    Had an encounter with a deer in 2013 one evening in my E46 330....about 200 yards from your place Chris! I'll find the picture...
    They are a bloody nightmare! So many about. I drive straddling the white lines whenever I can as it gives you a slightly better chance. I am constantly looking for the eye reflections, like cat’s eyes in the hedge! That way you can be prepared by 50m or so, better than a complete shock!
    Lots of badgers about too but at least they tend to hide as you approach and get out of the way.
    Yes, send the pictures, if you hit one I imagine it did a lot of damage. They definitely keep the local body shop busy!!!
    In an open top car they could easily do the driver some harm too, especially the Roe Deer, they are big!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Perhaps we can discuss that when I come up and have a (night) drive out in that Dax
    Gladly! If I ever finish (Progress has stalled but my time away from work is being spent either arranging the short notice wedding, or ferrying my Dad to/from hospital appointments - and, now, also trying to fix the ruddy Range Rover)

Quote Originally Posted by justinb View Post
    A few years back I clipped a deer in my old 645ci on the way to the garage to trade it in! Well, technically I clipped bambi, I missed the deer. Oops.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Gladly! If I ever finish (Progress has stalled but my time away from work is being spent either arranging the short notice wedding, or ferrying my Dad to/from hospital appointments - and, now, also trying to fix the ruddy Range Rover)

A few years back I clipped a deer in my old 645ci on the way to the garage to trade it in! Well, technically I clipped bambi, I missed the deer. Oops.
    Nothing to do with headlights but have had a few near misses while out on my road push bike with muntjac
    in the north Essex area.
    They tend to run along the hedge rows in herds, you can see them out of the corner of your eye, then you know
    that they almost always find a gap in the hedge and cross in front .
    Up till now I have been able to judge their moves, thankfully, this is on a daytime ride !
    Chris.
    P.S. The muntjac are not native to our land and can be shot or what ever and make good eating.

Chunky little buggers aren’t they

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast