Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

LED Headlights fail an MOT

"As of 1 January 2021, section 4.1.4 of the MOT Inspection manual reads: “Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

Not sure how many this actually affects on here but worth noting... I run LED's in the rear & thats not mentioned..

As I understand it that was driven by too many bad headlight LED bulbs/conversions. HIDs into halogen always should have been a fail unless washers and auto-leveling had been fitted too

Alex,

As you say it only applies to the headlights. There is a level of intensity (stated as light output) for the rear lights so there should be a difference between the rear lights and the brake light output.

If the front light case has the converted HID or LED fitted then they will fail. I seem to recall that HID had to have self levelling lamp adjustment requirement but looking at the section 4.1.5

"Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work.

Sometimes it is not easy to determine if the self-levelling systems work. In such cases you should give the benefit of the doubt."

So not all have self levelling.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Yes but the Department for transport issued guidance for aftermarket HIDs back in 2010 (Link) which explicitly says: "In practice this means:
    1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
    2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have self-levelling suspension and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam"

So unnecessary. Properly fitted decent LEDs are much safer. I never get flashed in my cobra (classicleds) but frequently get flashed in my Audi with its factory designed and very expensive washing levelling self dipping and everything else lights!
    Another piece of legislation to stop the minority that adversely effects others.
    I shall be taking the risk and or putting the h4 bulbs back in for not if necessary.
    Grump over!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    So unnecessary. Properly fitted decent LEDs are much safer. I never get flashed in my cobra (classicleds) but frequently get flashed in my Audi with its factory designed and very expensive washing levelling self dipping and everything else lights!
    Another piece of legislation to stop the minority that adversely effects others.
    I shall be taking the risk and or putting the h4 bulbs back in for not if necessary.
    Grump over!
    I sometimes think the companies over-geek the tech - do we really need all of this crap?....that is crap that eventually goes wrong. A mate of mine had one of the huge Mercs, just a few years old, yet had already lost 75% of its forecourt price. Minor, minor issue with LED on the dash and a leak in the boot - would have cost the same amount as I buy a complete second car for to fix it (he was luckily under warranty).
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Grump over!
    Funnily enough, the new rules were published about three days after I bought a reasonably expensive set of H4-style LED bulbs for the OHs MINI which has truly dreadful (candles in the daylight!) halogen headlights.. not that they've been delivered yet some definite postal problems in these parts!
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    Funnily enough, the new rules were published about three days after I bought a reasonably expensive set of H4-style LED bulbs for the OHs MINI which has truly dreadful (candles in the daylight!) halogen headlights.. not that they've been delivered yet some definite postal problems in these parts!
    I am so impressed with my ClassicLED H4 replacements, truly amazing. I can actually see now! makes you wonder how we used to manage in the 60's and 70's when we thought upgrading to halogens was good!!! As I said, mine will be staying even if I have to temporarily change for the MoT. It's not hard.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Well I get why they have done it but surely if they simply tested the beam pattern as they used to it would not make a difference as they would be failing cars that blinded people anyway. I have 2 Saab's one factory fitted with HID lights, they are fantastic and I never get flashed or have a problem with blinding people, the beam cut of is very pronounced, the other one had H7's, they were sh1t, to the point of being dangerous. Both lights were projector type and both are actually the same unit but with a different bulb holder on the back, so I fitted HID's to the other car and they are again fantastic. I never have a problem blinding people because the beam pattern is exactly the same as the other car. Its about whether or not the job is done properly and as I say, the MOT should be able to discriminate against only the cars where it is not. I also plan to fit some LED's to the Cob, its original lights were also down right dangerous on dipped beam. But as I am MOT exempt maybe its a bit easier for me. Chris what exactly did you put in yours?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Well I get why they have done it but surely if they simply tested the beam pattern as they used to it would not make a difference as they would be failing cars that blinded people anyway. I have 2 Saab's one factory fitted with HID lights, they are fantastic and I never get flashed or have a problem with blinding people, the beam cut of is very pronounced, the other one had H7's, they were sh1t, to the point of being dangerous. Both lights were projector type and both are actually the same unit but with a different bulb holder on the back, so I fitted HID's to the other car and they are again fantastic. I never have a problem blinding people because the beam pattern is exactly the same as the other car. Its about whether or not the job is done properly and as I say, the MOT should be able to discriminate against only the cars where it is not. I also plan to fit some LED's to the Cob, its original lights were also down right dangerous on dipped beam. But as I am MOT exempt maybe its a bit easier for me. Chris what exactly did you put in yours?
    https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/col...d-bulbs/12v-h4 Honestly, could not recommend them more positively. The Land Rover guys use them too. You will find references on this forum, all with good feedback I believe
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast