Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can't remove pilot bearing

Hi All,

I'm after a recommendation for a goo inner bearing puller that will do a 15mm ID pilot bearing.

My LS3 came fitted with the larger outer bearing which does not suit my T56 transmission so I need to change it for a smaller one that fits further into the crank. The link shows the bearing.

I've tried the cheap Ebay ones but either they don't work or don't fit.

I'd rather not use a slide hammer type as I'm worried I could do some damage to the engine - is that possible?

Any help appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pic is teeny tiny so I can't tell - is it a bearing or a bushing? (The latter are easier to remove using thick grease or similar - even wet bread! - and a very close fitting drift to use hydraulic force to push it out, but I don't know if that would work on a bearing or if it would just pop the inner race or seals out..)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

My son has a little one he bought on ebay for an LS. He had to grind the legs a bit to get it to fit but it works and I also used it for my 302. I think I have it In the workshop if you want a pic but it's very like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-jaw-Pil...MAAOSwW~hf-BTY
    They are cheap enough that grinding them doesn't cause grief! Bit far for you to borrow - maybe someone nearer has one
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Have you tried the old bread/grease trick: Link

As mentioned above using thick grease or bread.
    You could try using a diesel/oil mix and let it soak in before trying to
    remove it.
    Be carefull if you have any rubber seals nearby when using diesel.
    Chris.

Ive used bits of wet paper pushed in which did the trick before had then pushed it in with a drift. It took a bit of doing but did force the bearing out. Ive also got a slide hammer puller from Machine Mart which has a small lip which will catch behind the bearing.

Dont know if using a slide hammer will cause damage to the engine, the only thing I can think of if its yanked a bit hard it might pull the crank up against the side of the thrust bearing on the main journal. Had an Rover v8 once which has excessive travel on the clutch which turned out to be the vastly excessive end float of the crank due to worn thrust bearings...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    My son has a little one he bought on ebay for an LS. He had to grind the legs a bit to get it to fit but it works and I also used it for my 302. I think I have it In the workshop if you want a pic but it's very like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-jaw-Pil...MAAOSwW~hf-BTY
    They are cheap enough that grinding them doesn't cause grief! Bit far for you to borrow - maybe someone nearer has one
    I also bought one of these but as with your son it doesn't fit. I will try grinding it down a bit but don't want to weaken it. Better pic of the bearing below.IMG_4510##.jpg

I'd be concerned about using the bread or grease method as it might damage the crankshaft oil plug - maybe?

[QUOTE=Pilch;604692]I also bought one of these but as with your son it doesn't fit. I will try grinding it down a bit but don't want to weaken it. Better pic of the bearing below.IMG_4510##.jpg

Give it a grind! Nothing to lose but a cheap puller if it doesn't work. As I said, the one we ground down works fine. I have also removed them with a slide hammer but a puller is better. I have only ever got in a mess with the grease idea! Good luck
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Don’t use the bread/grease trick on an LS, there’s a core freeze plug behind it, if it goes wrong you end up pushing the plug into the block......not a good thing!
    Last edited by Happy Jim; 19-02-21 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Complete the sentence
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Thanks Jim for confirming my concerns - I won't be using grease or bread for that matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast