Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding clutch

A tip I got when bleeding my clutch cylinder was to take the cylinder off the mounting bracket, (leave it connected to the pipe), and push the plunger right back into the cylinder and clamp it in with a G clamp. You will need a short bolt to push it back in with. Then bleed it as usual. It means you have less air to get out. When finished, put the cylinder back onto the bracket with the pushrod installed and gently work the clutch pedal. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by leochas232 View Post
    A tip I got when bleeding my clutch cylinder was to take the cylinder off the mounting bracket, (leave it connected to the pipe), and push the plunger right back into the cylinder and clamp it in with a G clamp. You will need a short bolt to push it back in with. Then bleed it as usual. It means you have less air to get out. When finished, put the cylinder back onto the bracket with the pushrod installed and gently work the clutch pedal. Works for me.
    i think it’s always a good idea to retract slave pistons, brake or clutch, not so much to reduce the air to remove but to reduce the possibility of air getting trapped, and if you remove it it should make it easy to make sure the bleed nipple is uppermost.

Good idea i do have one.

I use that vac kit, works well, controllable with much less risk of fluid leaks as the master cylinder is not under pressure.

One tip with the vac bleeders - and this is highly dependent on the brakes - if you unscrew the bleed nipple too far you can get air drawn in via the threads which looks like you're still bleeding air when you aren't really.. I say this as we put a ridiculous amount of fluid through a friend's car before we figured that out

I reckon a little grease on the threads of the nipple would probably stop that, though we didn't try; that or well fitting nipples (ooer) unscrewed the bare minimum would probably work.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

That's a very good tip, easy to make that mistake.

Yeah - on the plus side, he had very clean brake fluid when we'd finished
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post

Jon, Always used a gunson easy bleed before although it has more often than not been a gunson fluid distribution system and mess maker. I thought at that price I would get one of those. Got it today and it seems to be a really good budget tool. Perhaps not good enough if you are a professional doing it all the time but MORE than adequate for those of us messing with brakes or clutch infrequently. I cannot imagine how its possible to sell it for so little money. it seems to produce a reasonable vacuum and hold it and has all the fittings and bits you could expect to need, great little piece of kit for no money. (I have not actually used it in anger yet so wait for the retraction...........)

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    One tip with the vac bleeders - and this is highly dependent on the brakes - if you unscrew the bleed nipple too far you can get air drawn in via the threads which looks like you're still bleeding air when you aren't really.. I say this as we put a ridiculous amount of fluid through a friend's car before we figured that out

I reckon a little grease on the threads of the nipple would probably stop that, though we didn't try; that or well fitting nipples (ooer) unscrewed the bare minimum would probably work.
    Bleeding with a small positive pressure is better for just this reason. I've always meant to make a bleeder using an LPG regulator and my compressor to pressurise the reservoir but I've never got round to it. The joy of running silicone fluid is that I've only ever bled the system once in the last 30 years!
    Cheers

Myles D-W

James,
    I was so surprised at the price. I think I paid £15 which was a bargain then.
    I have used it a few times now with great success. So easy to use on your own and I can do a complete brake fluid change very quickly. You can suck out most of the fluid from the top up reservoir and top up with new fluid rather than pumping it all through the system..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast