Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bleeding clutch

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    The joy of running silicone fluid is that I've only ever bled the system once in the last 30 years!
    I run mineral fluid and have changed it several times, never had to bleed it though. Not for that reason anyhow.

Ran Silicone originally and all it did was swell the seals

Yes, I've heard that mentioned before but have not experienced any ill effects. It seems that the dot 5 silicone is getting hard to find (in this part of the world anyway) - the usual parts stores don't seem to keep it anymore. Amazing how many try to sell the Dot 5.1 fluid as an alternative.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I'll just stick with DOT4.
    Never been an issue.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Never been an issue.
    Me too!! Keep it simple. Also the only bleeding tool I have ever used (until now) is a jam jar and a short clear hose. As long as you have a happy helper to shout 'up' and 'down' to it works fine! However, I did buy the £4.99 vacuum pump mentioned in this thread earlier, and tried it on the GT40 clutch and it worked without the happy helper!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    Yes, I've heard that mentioned before but have not experienced any ill effects. It seems that the dot 5 silicone is getting hard to find (in this part of the world anyway) - the usual parts stores don't seem to keep it anymore. Amazing how many try to sell the Dot 5.1 fluid as an alternative.
    Dot 5.1 is a great alternative than Dot 5 (I'd argue better) ..... just not in the same system at the same time
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Hi,

clutch bleeding is very easy and simple, save your money, all you need is a jam jar , piece of clear pipe and a couple of mates. Connect your pipe , undo the nipple , one mate to pump the pedal and the other to keep the master cylinder full. you don't need to lock the nipple every press of the pedal. Due to the height of the master cylinder and the slave being low it will nearly bleed just through gravity, it's also quite a short run compared to the brakes.

Jon
    AK

Its the couple of mates that's the problem for me in lockdown, I know how to bleed anything with a helper but in lockdown I have had to find new ways of doing many things on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Its the couple of mates that's the problem for me in lockdown, I know how to bleed anything with a helper but in lockdown I have had to find new ways of doing many things on my own.
    Can you push the car outside and claim it's their 1hr of exercise? "Leg presses, officer, very heavy clutch!"
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

With the vacuum method you can lock off under pressure knowing no air is getting back into the system. I have tried all the methods of single return valve one man operation, Gunson pressure system on the cap under tyre pressure all with different results. The hand vacuum is the easiest and had the best results on my Jag Dax breaks . The rear brakes were always difficult to bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by kdavies3 View Post
    Never been an issue.
    I will trump that with Super dot 4.
    In the long time I had my cob I've never been tempted with the silicon stuff,
    perhaps we are missing something.
    The other thing is I only do road use, if it were used for track would proberbly
    choose something else .
    Chris.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123