Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bleeding clutch

Bleeding clutch

Well the title says it all. On my new build i have a conventional master cylinder and a conventional set up on the slave cylinder. On the slave cylinder the bleed nipple is facing upwards ie vertical, however i dont see why this should be a problem. Viewing other forum comments it would seem that bleeding the clutch can be a problem. In the past on other cars i have used the conventional method and Gunson pressurised bottle arrangement, one thing with the Gunson method is that it fills the reservoir to the brim not so good with paint damaging fluid and if there is a leak
    sprays fluid in all directions.
    Can anyone recommend a vacuum type bleeder which will do the job as i also need to do the brakes.

I have used the Gunson on my hydraulic clutch set up with success,
    your right about it filling to the brim though.
    You should be ok with extra care and don't go to high with the pressure
    what ever you do.
    To be sure I also cover the master cylinder and bleeder unit with something just in case.
    Will also keep an eye out for another clutch/brake bleeder due to the Gunson getting a bit tired.
    Chris.

Hi Chris
    Thats what happened with me, i tried my old Gunson but found the cap did not seal very well on the master reservoir and when i pressurised it, fluid started to leak, so I think its time to invest in a new bleed system. If you use silicone fluid its not so much a problem as its ok with paintwork but its expensive.

Well jon
    Looked it up and its very cheap, but if it did the job then great. Perhaps i need to get one.

Also worth remembering to remove some fluid from the res’, don’t leave it brimmed. As the clutch wears it will displace fluid back to the res’.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    Also worth remembering to remove some fluid from the res’, don’t leave it brimmed. As the clutch wears it will displace fluid back to the res’.
    Surely as the clutch wears, then the slave cylinder moves further out so the level of fluid in the reservoir falls to compensate?
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Surely as the clutch wears, then the slave cylinder moves further out so the level of fluid in the reservoir falls to compensate?
    that was my first thought but if the clutch disc wears, the pressure plate will move towards the flywheel, which will move the clutch fingers and release bearing towards the gearbox and the clutch fork will push the slave piston into the cylinder, pushing fluid back into the master cyl.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Yes I have done that whenever i have used the Gunson , I generally use a short piece of tubing and suck it up , the secret is not to suck to hard otherwise you get a mouthful of brake fluid, not recommended.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    Yes I have done that whenever i have used the Gunson , I generally use a short piece of tubing and suck it up , the secret is not to suck to hard otherwise you get a mouthful of brake fluid, not recommended.
    Cheers
    i use a large syringe with some plastic tube. Don’t like getting a mouthful of anything nasty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast