Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

IVA engine dilemma

What engine details do I put on IVA application

Took on unfinished build, sold as having SBC 307 engine with 5.5ltrs

Now the block id confirm it's a 307 which is a 5.0ltr. ( 200bhp )

I have engine certificate confirming it's a 1969 engine, so only visual inspection for emissions.

However engine has apparently been tuned with high lift cams and bored out to 5.5ltr, the purchase details in eBay listing where I purchased this unfinished project states this, but there is no written evidence.

If I show purchase information with engine certificate for IVA there is obviously conflicting information... does BHP get checked at IVA test?

I have 160mph speedo, VR rated tyres so put 150mph as cars top speed.

What's the best thing to do and keep IVA tester happy?

AFAIK you just need to prove the age of the block, and state the bhp - the latter is not tested but it needs to look plausible.
    Your other points on speedo and tyres - all good.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

The IVA-1c form you complete doesn’t require the engine capacity but does need an estimate of maximum power and rpm that its achieved at. These were not tested in my IVA, there’s no rolling road test for instance. As said above, they need to look sensible though.

ref the engine capacity, I think you need to declare that on the registration post IVA, so it needs to be the actual capacity which sounds like 5500 cc in your case.
    That said I did wonder how a 307 got upgraded to a 335 (5.5). My friend Google seems to think the biggest upgrade for a 307 is by stroking to 330 which is 5.4.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

I have a 1969 engine and I just used all the standard figures from books and online documents for the standard engine. None of it was questioned or checked in any way. One thing to consider is the RPM max power because that is used for the noise test. You want a low RPM as you can if you are concerned about your exhaust.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

1969 block is a no brainer. Visual smoke only.
    If the block is a 307 cubic inch then just put that down. And add the stock horsepower that the engine came out of the factory with.
    There are probably loads of stroked engines out there that are marked up as the original 350 but in reality they are 383. No one but no one will open up an engine to see exactly what it is. As long as the engine number relates to the original size if it was investigated then no problem.
    Don’t over complicate the process by introducing curve balls. The less questions asked the better.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Thanks for replies.

I have sent off application stating standard info for the engine, 307, 5ltr, 200bhp, max @ 5800 revs.

The engine is tuned, bored out to 5.48, Eldelbrock high lift cams, performance manifolds and filter etc, I fitted new upgraded Holley 4 barrel carb and upgraded water pump and complete cooling system due over heating problem.

I expect engine should be good for around 300bhp, I have no info on work done to heads.

To be honest that’s all you can do. I take it you didn’t rebuild the engine yourself? So you can’t quantify the work done?
    I rebuilt my engine but this was in SVA days. It’s a SBC 350 2 bolt main. + .030” rebore. Standard but reconditioned crankshaft. Flat top pistons. Mildly lumpy camshaft. Small chambered, large valve heads. Dual plane Edelbrock Performer manifold and a Holley 600 cfm carb. It’s a beautifully balanced engine but the power output is a disappointing 260bhp. The car is no slouch and stands up to a fight but she’s no fire breathing dragon. But it’s fine. It makes the right noise and looks the part which is all I want.
    These cars don’t exactly handle very nicely and having massive power is good pub talk but realistically, in these cars, where can you use it?
    I may upgrade the carb at some point and possibly invest in new heads but that’s as far as I’ll take it with this engine. The little voice in my head though is saying, put a Ford Cleveland in it! One day, maybe!
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    To be honest that’s all you can do. I take it you didn’t rebuild the engine yourself? So you can’t quantify the work done?
    I rebuilt my engine but this was in SVA days. It’s a SBC 350 2 bolt main. + .030” rebore. Standard but reconditioned crankshaft. Flat top pistons. Mildly lumpy camshaft. Small chambered, large valve heads. Dual plane Edelbrock Performer manifold and a Holley 600 cfm carb. It’s a beautifully balanced engine but the power output is a disappointing 260bhp. The car is no slouch and stands up to a fight but she’s no fire breathing dragon. But it’s fine. It makes the right noise and looks the part which is all I want.
    These cars don’t exactly handle very nicely and having massive power is good pub talk but realistically, in these cars, where can you use it?
    I may upgrade the carb at some point and possibly invest in new heads but that’s as far as I’ll take it with this engine. The little voice in my head though is saying, put a Ford Cleveland in it! One day, maybe!
    Yes I 100% agree, it's not about speed with these cars, it's the driving experience and the sound of the V8... awesome. Very similiar to the 3 TVRs I've owned tbh.

After 6 years ownership I just sold my 600bhp Nissan R35 GTR, 0-60 under 3 seconds and nearly 200mph... and I still got a clean licence, and that car did like being driven fast.

I would have thought yours should be making nearer 300bhp, so can see why 260bhp might be disappointing, I will get mine set up on rolling road after IVA.
    Last edited by TurboFreak; 26-02-21 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboFreak View Post
    Thanks for replies.

I have sent off application stating standard info for the engine, 307, 5ltr, 200bhp, max @ 5800 revs.

The engine is tuned, bored out to 5.48, Eldelbrock high lift cams, performance manifolds and filter etc, I fitted new upgraded Holley 4 barrel carb and upgraded water pump and complete cooling system due over heating problem.

I expect engine should be good for around 300bhp, I have no info on work done to heads.
    Hi,

You will probably fail on noise as having put down 5800 revs you will be tested at 3/4 revs (4350rpm) I know our AK cars are ok at about 3800rpm but only just. Take some extra baffles just in case.

Jon
    AK

...and repack the silencer with acoustifil - its great stuff.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast