Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MOT after IVA

Certainly not what Wendy tells me!

Quote Originally Posted by aksportscars View Post
    Hi,

I thought you had 3 years if the car was registered new, but 1 year if it was age related.
    Could be wrong, I was wrong once back in 1984.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Gov website says 3 years from registration.
    Mine is age related on an E plate but date of registration is 2018 so first MOT this year
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Yep looks like 3 years but as the debate shows it isnt overly clear on the gov web site other than saying all newly registered cars are 3 years and any kit car is newly registered I guess even with an old plate or donor parts.
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Having passed IVA in December 2019 and got an age related number in Jan 2020 I found in June 20 that I had only paid for 6 months tax by mistake, so the tax demand came and required an MOT certificate. On line renewal would not work because of no MOT, and I presumed queuing at the Post Office would reveal the same result, so I called DVLA to find they had all been sent home and no-one would answer the phone - the one person that eventually did had no idea what I was talking about. I then remembered the very helpful young lady who processed my original registration and called her - they were all sat in the office with nothing to do as there were no IVA tests at the time, and they told me that DVLA renewals did not talk to Kits and Rebuilds (probably two floors down in the same building) so the databases did not line up. I sent them a cheque for a year's tax and they very kindly processed it for me and told me to keep the receipt they sent me in case of any problems.

Not looking forward to this June as I will have exactly the same problem - the rules are 3 years from registration but 'computer says no'..... It will probably be easier to just get it done.

Hopefully my Pilgrim Sumo will pass it's retest next Monday.

I have read it needs MOT after AVI to obtain Tax,.... which didn't make sense?

I have read it doesn't need MOT for 3 years even although it has age related plate due 'G' reg donor car, ..... which doesn't make sense?

I think the one year after AVI makes perfect sense so regardless this is the option I will go for.... as it does make sense

After IVA do I simply apply to DVLA for V5 by sending the IVA pass? Is there more fees to pay?

You are correct that you don't need an MOT until three years after registration age related or not.
    You will need to pay the current road fund licence for 12 months road tax.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

To throw a huge spanner into this thread - the IVA inspector wrote on my 2019 IVA pass paperwork "MOT 1year"

I checked with him as it was feint on the paperwork and I asked him what it meant. He just said yes, you need to MOT it after a year, 2020

The garage I went to for its test says he believes it comes down to the following:

1. If you declare and register your build as a rebuild where a donor car is used onto a new kit chassis, in which you end up with an age related plate, even though you have refurbished all the donor parts, the parts are from a donor that is generally old. Therefore this category of build defaults to 1 year MOT.

2. If you build with all brand new parts with the allowance of a refurbished donor engine is used or a brand new engine and achieve a brand new registration, you default to 3 years before a test.

As some have said, they would rather have a MOT after a year for peace of mind, BUT if you have just passed your IVA, in theory you should pass an MOT a year later especially if you have only done a couple of hundred miles, nothing should have changed.

I don't mind being proven wrong but I have researched this for the past 5 months as my 1 MOT was given the 6 months extension due to Covid. Information is scarce and there is no definitive information on the net but the MOT inspector was knowledgeable around kit cars.

In the end I took it last month and it passed 1st time!!

Lee
    Last edited by 427jlc; 02-06-21 at 07:45 PM.
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

It makes sense when you think about it, my concern is getting nicked one day for not having an MOT even though when I look up my car there is no date for the next MOT !!!
    Paul

SRV8 - 429 Ford Big Block, 4 speed toploader

Hi Paul, That was my concern. I checked all the usual sites and it states on the DVLA MOT check, "no details held", but it says that for cars registered under 3 years old. My mate works on the motorway police and if a check returned no details on file he would pull the driver.

I took mine off the road to change the diff out so it did not get used.
    .............never drive faster than your guardian angel.

cobraclub.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/633 - this is the link to my build photo's you have to put w w w . h t t p : / / in front of it!!

Apart from the fact that DVLA keep threatening to strike (paperwork delays and no phones answered) and in my case could not give me a direct answer to the MOT question, I don't see the point of not getting an MOT. It's only £54 each year (less if you are lucky or a good negotiator) and does several good things:
    - a second pair of eyes with the car on a proper lift so any issues will be spotted more easily;
    - a permanent record of the mileage year-on-year in case of insurance issues (low mileage policies) and other checks like how much and when the vehicle was used;
    - a record of any advisories and the fact they were fixed - when looking for a classic car or a kit car the MOT record is a very useful tool available to anyone to see how well the vehicle was looked after and what any faults were, potentially adding value at sale time;
    - less possibility of being stopped or caught on ANPR because 'computer says no';
    - easier to tax the car on line every year rather than queuing at a post office to get told the paperwork is not on order.

The academic discussion seems to be impossible to resolve, so I just went and got it done. There is so little to check on a replica that it only takes 15 mins but you do need a tester who does not start looking for ABS sensors and power steering leaks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast