Thread: Rv8 cooling

Rv8 cooling

Hi all,

Had a great day over the weekend, first time getting the cobra out for a test drive. Was amazing.

Now comes the part I need help with.

I had the car running for a while, 5-10mins and all was ok, water temp was creaping up slowly, when I started moving down the road the temp rose to around 130 and smoke started coming from the engine bay. Engine is a rv8 sd1.

I stopped the car opened the bonnet and could see coolant coming out the expansion tank lid and neck.

Took me back abit. Having lost coolant I will need to flush and replace, does anyone have a guide or some pointers on how to do this?

Also been reading about having an inlet valve code to the top pipe from the expansion tank, would this help with this issue?

Cheers
    Aaron

If you think all is correct with the plumbing circuit
    I would check first that the thermostat is the right way
    around or check to make sure it is opening .
    You could also remove this as a temporary measure, if not to
    much of a pain.
    Chris.

What inlet manifold do you have?

Agree with Chris it does sound like a stuck opening of the thermostat after 5-10 mins following start up. If you sufficient water level and no airlock. Check for any serious leaks.

On the RV8 where pipe comes off the thermostat housing then Bends downwards. Is known as place for potential airlocks. There has been a number of threads on here about adding a bleed screw at this point, to get the air out.

If you have a heater for the car fitted is the valve to controll the water flow open (if one is fitted).When I had a RV8 I once switchet the heater off in the summer and it just boiled over all the time till I opened the valve again never had another issue after.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

I found that it was easy to get an airlock in the top hose. Putting the front of the Cobra on axle stands and ensuring the radiator and expansion bottle were higher than the engine when filling and 'burping' the system really helped. You can also jam an upturned pop bottle with the bottom cut off (like a funnel) in the neck of the expansion bottle. This helps burping and topping up whilst the engine is running.
    In recent years I have put an in-line filler neck/cap at the highest point in the top hose. This makes the whole refilling process a lot easier.

Russ.
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    1984 DAX Cobra
    Rover 3.5 V8 with Holley carburetor.

I fitted the "Chrome Straight Up Water Neck / Thermostat Housing - Ford 351C Cleveland" from ebay to my RV8; it exits the inlet manifold horizontally and gets rid of the high spot in the top hose.