Drilling stainless tank

What is the best way to go about drilling a hole in a currently used petrol tank made of stainless?

cheers
    Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

I'm no expert but the same way you'd drill a gas cylinder - empty it of petrol, fill it with water to displace the vapours and then drill while it's still full of water. Slow drill, significant pressure and cutting oil will help and once you've started, don't stop - stainless steel work hardens if 'rubbed' instead of being cut.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Paul,
    Arron is correct, SS work hardens as it get hot, making it harder to drill. I had to drill a lot of holes in my SS engine bay liner to fit my radiator grill and learnt that Cobalt or carbide drills were better than HSS, and by using the slowest drill speed ,coupled with using engine oil, and pressing as hard as I dare without snapping the drill bit and stopping to let it cool down now and again worked the best. Just be careful, as the tip of the drill begins to come through the bottom of the hole, there is a tendency for the edge of the drill to snag the metal, which can snap small drills.

Paul
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

With a drill

Quote Originally Posted by aksportscars View Post
    With a drill

I've made a few holes in my life that look like they were made by one of these...
    My DeDion build diary..

Cheers, luckily I won't be doing any of the drilling

Paul
    AK, on the road Oct 2012

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post

I've made a few holes in my life that look like they were made by one of these...
    I guess your beaver must have had the standard HSS teeth then ,oh and sorry for balls-ng up your name in my previous post.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by psh View Post
    I guess your beaver must have had the standard HSS teeth then ,oh and sorry for balls-ng up your name in my previous post.
    I can't afford those fancy high falutin' carbide beavers, you know.. I've spent all the cash on the engine! and no worries - over the years I've seen more mis-spellings of my name than I can count! (btw, your inbox is full )
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I can't afford those fancy high falutin' carbide beavers, you know.. I've spent all the cash on the engine! and no worries - over the years I've seen more mis-spellings of my name than I can count! (btw, your inbox is full )
    Cheers Aaron, and i have now made space in my inbox
    Paul.