MSD 6AL-2 Programmable Ignition

Anyone using one of these? I would be interested in hearing of experiences if anyone is using one and also what timing settings have worked best
    I am going to use one on the GT40 (302). If it works well I might think about the same for the cobra.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

I have the LS version which I'm fitting to my cobra. It's not fitted yet but certainly interested to share other's experiences.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I know it's not the same but i have the non programmable version and it made the difference between starting and not starting. It was a vast improvement on the standard distributer. I'm using it in a SBC350.

Cheers,
    Mark

I've had the Digital 6AL on a couple of motors without issues.
    Never tried the programmable version.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Thanks all. I haven’t found anyone who has programmed one of these yet but there are plenty of posts/videos on the web. Seems pretty straight forward. Looks as if you lock out the dizzy, time it to all out timing (36 or thereabouts?) and then retard the box using your laptop as you want. Without any feedback from any one who has already done it I shall start by retarding 20 degrees for start up (leaves me 16) and then curve up to say 36 at somewhere near 2800. Probably I shall play around and get as much advance in as I can without pinking. Any thoughts gratefully received!

No thoughts but really interested to hear how you get on, Chris! I have a standard Pertronix distributor and coil on the FE with no adjustable vacuum canister and just bob weights (IIRC) - "it'll do" but would be nice to move to something more advanced in the future
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

I'd be surprised if someone out there can't give you a default get-you-going curve (MSD?). The LS model comes with both preset curves and custom ones too. You can optionally run vacuum advance and there's a temperature input too if you want.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I'd be surprised if someone out there can't give you a default get-you-going curve (MSD?). The LS model comes with both preset curves and custom ones too. You can optionally run vacuum advance and there's a temperature input too if you want.
    That's what I thought, but it seems not! I believe you can do all sorts, including a vacuum sensor but I plan to just do basic timing and see how we go.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box