Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mot

Mot

Does my car require a mot?
    Registered in 1979 and historic tax ie free does it require one?
    Cheers Clive
    On On

Quote Originally Posted by clive a brown View Post
    Does my car require a mot?
    Registered in 1979 and historic tax ie free does it require one?
    Cheers Clive
    I was looking at this yesterday while looking at the tax situation, seems the historic tax and historic MoT are separate. The tax only seems to take into account the age (the only issue there is which 'age' they take which seems to be open to interpretation) but for MoT it states

You do not need to get an MOT if:

• the vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
    • no ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works

I guess if the Cobra was registered in 1979 and has not had those changes then you're good to go but if you are referring to a doner which was registered in 1979 then I would not think so as I'm sure changes will have been made to all of the items mentioned. Of course it may not get checked so you may get away with it but would you want to?

The historic MoT exemption is a separate application to the tax.

The key date for most is the 30 year ruling as, major change of the chassis.So a 1991 build will become exempt on a date related 40 year old donar, is my understanding.
    It would be any easy get out for an insurance claim if your vehicle did not have an Mot not meeting these dates.
    For the small.out lay and another pair of eyes each year is little to pay for safety. I know I will continue to MOT mine.

Same here. The ruling to me is a little grey.
    I do have a sympathetic MOT station that deal mainly in classic cars so they know that Jag handbrakes are crap, they understand that 2000 miles a year is an achievement and not a goal and that the very fact it’s a classic shaped kit car, it ain’t gonna be perfect!
    So a damp shock is an advisory where as a full blown leak is an obvious fail. Things like that.
    I would rather spend £50 a year to have an unbiased professional eye look over the car for me to make sure it’s at least safe.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Your correct on the assumption that a professional lookover is a good thing. But not sure my hid lights are now ok?
    Cheers Clive

Quote Originally Posted by clive a brown View Post
    Your correct on the assumption that a professional lookover is a good thing. But not sure my hid lights are now ok?
    Cheers Clive
    Hid & LED (>2k lumen) are a fail. I binned my HIDs a while back and went to H7 LED, they’re still not going to pass but are a 5 min job to swap back to normal bulbs.
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

I agree with the concept of having the vehicle checked over periodically being a good thing, althogh (like may of us here) I look after the vehicle in what I believe to be a fastidious manner I think a second pair of eyes has got to be worth the cost. If I wasn't required to have an MoT I think I'd still look at having the car tested but without the paperwork.
    For me the headlights are not a problem, hardly ever use the car in the dark anyhow and much less so in bad weather so the halogens are just fine for me.

I’m still of the opinion that a lack of MOT will eventually lead to Daily Mail types to demand that these “death traps” are taken off the road....... all it takes is someone in an old/un cared for car to have a serious accident and we’ll all be tarred with the same brush. I’ll NEVER drive any of my cars without MOT’s
    JMHO of course.

Simon

When I spoke to my local garage about MOT they said that if the car was MOT exempt then the system would not allow them to issue an MOT. But I still plan to get them to do one every year even without the paperwork. It's just about the peace of mind, having another pair of eyes look over it each year.

I am with James on have another set of eyes go over it for piece of mind
    which is great but must consider that an mot is only good for that moment
    in time .
    The SR that I have has always had an mot since I've owned it and have no
    problem continuing to do so as long as the mot testers understand that it will
    not be the same as a modern vehicle .
    I do believe it was our illustrious government that introduce unnecessary grey
    areas into a system that worked fine, then people weren't sure about the legality
    of not having an mot .
    With regards to insurance they do ask if mine is mot'ed and get the impression
    that I would be refused if there was no test .
    Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast