Body on time :-)

I'm finally getting close to body on time.

I think just checking hydraulic lines for leaks to go now.

I've already trimmed the body mounts on the tunnel section, is there anything else that's recommend to do whilst the body is off?

The second part of my question

Are there any owners in or around the east Oxford area (just off the M40) that might be able to lend a hand lifting it on? When we're allowed to gather that is.

Cheers
    Greg
    Building MK4 GD Jag based with a Chevy 383/tremec tko600.

Build blog/photo store https:/www.facebook.com/pg/gregsGD427

You can count me in Greg. Great to see you have made such progress during lockdown. Good idea to also have someone who has done it before though!

Hey body on is a real high point in the build!

You mention checking the hydraulics, presumably you have the pipes on the chassis terminating at a fitting for when they will eventually meet up with the supplies from the body? How are you checking them, are you able to hook up a master cylinder to put them under pressure?
    When I built mine it was still possible to use the QD couplings (believe IVA has scuppered that now) so was quite easy to do that, as well as bleeding the chassis part of the curcuit.

Have you set/checked the wheel geometry as much as possible, that's a lot easier prior to mounting the body. Particularly bump steer.
    Fuel pipes, flow & return fitted and pressure checked?

Other than that it's worth spending some time gazing at the chassis and working out which parts are going to be difficult to get at once you have the body attached and making sure you've done everythign you can.
    Maybe post some photo's up here and get some constructive comments.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. At least with a GD it is possible to take it apart if absolutly necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MartBlak View Post
    You can count me in Greg. Great to see you have made such progress during lockdown. Good idea to also have someone who has done it before though!
    Thanks Martin, I'll give you a shout over the weekend as have spoken to Meena last week about my next batch of parts .

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post

You mention checking the hydraulics, presumably you have the pipes on the chassis terminating at a fitting for when they will eventually meet up with the supplies from the body? How are you checking them, are you able to hook up a master cylinder to put them under pressure?
    When I built mine it was still possible to use the QD couplings (believe IVA has scuppered that now) so was quite easy to do that, as well as bleeding the chassis part of the curcuit.

Have you set/checked the wheel geometry as much as possible, that's a lot easier prior to mounting the body. Particularly bump steer.

Other than that it's worth spending some time gazing at the chassis and working out which parts are going to be difficult to get at once you have the body attached and making sure you've done everythign you can.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. At least with a GD it is possible to take it apart if absolutly necessary.
    Thanks, I'm hoping it might start to look like a real car then

On the testing front I've got an adjustable pedals box hence flexible hoses from the master cylinders to the connection block, and my body is on a trolley that sits about the chassis so they can be located pretty close to each other.

Wheel from is done as well as I can do it. Hopefully it should be ok.

I've been running the engine up to temps few times already so I know I've not got any leaks there thankfully.

All my pics and videos of the engine running are here
    https://m.facebook.com/GregsGD427/?ref=bookmarks

I'll try and figure out how to add some here in a bit.

Just a heads up to show how I'm going to test the hydraulics.
    If this works there should be 3 (quite bad) pictures to show it all connected up

https://m.facebook.com/GregsGD427/po...tachments_list.[253550899776343%252C253550956443004%252C2535510164 42998]%253Astory_location.4%253Astory_attachment_style.a lbum%253Atds_flgs.3%253Aott.AX8ISikN0WsqXi67%253At hid.100053643056259%253A306061129499414%253A2%253A 0%253A1617260399%253A-1375028857735033015%26__tn__%3DEH-R%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D&mdp=1&mdf=1

Cheers
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by austin21 View Post
    Just a heads up to show how I'm going to test the hydraulics.
    If this works there should be 3 (quite bad) pictures to show it all connected up

https://m.facebook.com/GregsGD427/po...tachments_list.[253550899776343%252C253550956443004%252C2535510164 42998]%253Astory_location.4%253Astory_attachment_style.a lbum%253Atds_flgs.3%253Aott.AX8ISikN0WsqXi67%253At hid.100053643056259%253A306061129499414%253A2%253A 0%253A1617260399%253A-1375028857735033015%26__tn__%3DEH-R%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D&mdp=1&mdf=1

Cheers
    Greg

Bit difficult to see as those photo's are quite large and blured on my PC but I think I get the gist. A couple of things seem a bit odd to me, maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

1) You seem to have the reservoirs lower than the master cylinders, I don't think that will work, don't think the masters will suck the fluid in.
    2) How are you going to operate the master cylinders? Presumably sitting in the body up on your rig? Not a problem I suppose as long as your platform is well strong.

Pity you can't use the QD hydraulic connectors these days with IVA, would make the job a bit easier.
    This is what I rigged up to test (and bleed) the clutch on mine when I added the concentric throw out bearing.

TestingClutch Small.jpg

Hope that comes through

Bit difficult to see as those photo's are quite large and blured on my PC but I think I get the gist. A couple of things seem a bit odd to me, maybe I'm not understanding correctly.

1) You seem to have the reservoirs lower than the master cylinders, I don't think that will work, don't think the masters will suck the fluid in.
    2) How are you going to operate the master cylinders? Presumably sitting in the body up on your rig? Not a problem I suppose as long as your platform is well strong.

Pity you can't use the QD hydraulic connectors these days with IVA, would make the job a bit easier.
    This is what I rigged up to test (and bleed) the clutch on mine when I added the concentric throw out bearing.

TestingClutch Small.jpg

Hope that comes through
    Hi that's quite an ingenious method of testing the systems.

I've got mine all tested, yes I did raise the reservoirs up, but I also had a vacuum brake bleeder which did a pretty good job of pulling the brake fluid through.

Fortunately the platform is good and strong (made out of scaffolding rails). I did get my wife up there to apply pressure whilst I went round checking for leaks.

So I'm now set and ready to go for body on.

I've got my 5 additional helpers booked in for Saturday morning.

Cheers