paint prep & coolant questions

have been looking at re-paint on my dax & have had some good info from the forum directly (cheers wilf) & looking at other peoples posts,question I have is whats the best method for removing paint.So far I have been told you can either sand,use chemicals or chisel it off? I'm not doing it myself but would like to know so I can have some input when talking to the painter. Also recently installed new ally heads, water pipe kit,Ally rad (dax) etc etc. Read in a manual you should not add antifreeze initially as ally heads are porous but instead add inhibitor then change after 2000 miles,spoke to brian at repower who supplied the bits he said doesn't matter either way,would like your input.Finally, I am hoping to go to the dax open day on friday & look forward to seeing some of you there, have lots of questions to ask(to silly to post) & hope to see some top cars.I spoke to gary at dax who agreed to test drive my car, as I haven't driven another cob I don't know how it compares. Just thought, I had to remove nose mesh could I damage rad if drive without it ??
    Finally,Finally dave enjoy your build pics etc hope to see you friday

cheers
    Lardy

RE: paint prep & coolant questions

Prolonged exposure can eat the ally, depending on whether you have an electrolyte to start the chemical process.

You need to check what other parts have gone into the engine and if one of them will react and start the chemical process, if they will you can buy a sink which will inhibit the electrolytic process.

I ran antifreeze in my engine from day one with Barrs fluid also with no problems, and looking at the engine over the winter, there were no side-effects. The anti-freeze isn't the issue, it is the chemical reaction of disparate metals.

Robert
    Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif
    Best Regards

Robert

Crossed over for a while - Overlanding - Some people are just like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

robert thanks for the quick reply,whats barrs fluid ?

It stops leaks in cooling systems, lubricates pumps and generally keeps things in good shape.

Robert
    Forum Admin

http://www.cobraclub.com/flags/UK.gif
    Best Regards

Robert

Crossed over for a while - Overlanding - Some people are just like slinkies, they don't really have a purpose but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Okey dokey.
    ‚ÄčPro Cobra Builder
    DB427SC

DB REPLICAS
    Find us on Facebook
    db427.com
    Low Volume manufacturer of
    ALUMINIUM BODY, ROUND TUBE CHASSIS.
    ORIGINAL SPEC. SUSPENSION COBRAS.
    OEM style stainless SIDEPIPES

Yep - a good antifreeze and "Bars-Leaks" is what works for me too. The question of electrolytic corrosion is relevant, since we have a mixture of metals in the cooling corcuit with differing electolysis potentials. Since cars with iron blocks/ally heads/copper&brass&?? radiators have been around for yonks, I guess it can't be too bad. I thought a good antifreeze was also anti corrosive as well? Not sure.
    PS - you can get Bars-Leaks in liquid or solid (you crumble it in) form - either works.

Wilf
    Crendon has left the building................bright yellow Stag has landed.