Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you do THIS?

Do you do THIS?

I was wondering how many of you (if any) hire out your Cobras for self drive or events or similar?
    If not, have you considered it to offset the costs or to earn a little on the side and have you looked into it?
    Im considering renting mine and doing some due diligence on insurance etc. and canvasing opinions. Obv it won't be for everyone, and I appreciate that, but it might be right for me and a few others.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    SHELBY :- Dax, Chevy 350, Tremex, side pipes, blue + stripes, cream leather... Beautiful

If you have zero personal attachment to the car and treat is just as a rental income machine , together with all the requisite insurances and safeguards, it would be a good earner.

Right up to when it goes through the lounge wall of a terraced house in Bradford. And the uninsured driver runs off.

However if you have a large amount of drug income to launder it could be a good method of doing so.

Cheers,

Tony
    Supply by blagging, engineering by bodge......

A colleague asked me if I rented mine out as he wanted to take his son out in one. I said absolutely no chance. If he wanted to I would take his son out in it but no one else drives my Cobra except my brother who also has mechanical sympathy for machinery. He also knows how to drive.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

There are a couple of places the UK where you can officially hire a cobra replica.
    I don't know the set-up but I would guess there is a robust damage waiver policy and a ton of insurance to sign off on.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

The prospect of handing over 7 years of work to an unknown individual with no knowledge of their ability or empathy would be inconceivable to me. Let alone the idea that giving a 550bhp short wheelbase car with no driving aids to keep it pointing in the right direction to someone who probably drives a Fiesta would seem to be utter madness.

Apart from any emotional attachment, if all the relevant insurance etc are in place I don't see any issue. It's your choice you can hire a Ferrari California £177,000 for 48hrs for £1100, over 25. Might be worth contacting a company who hires performance cars out. They might have a system that allows them to sort it and pay you when needed?

Beaulieu Classic Car Garage hire out classics. They did have an AK427 that they used to hire out. That has since been sold and is now a CAT S write off. The current owner wants £25K for it apparently. Looks to have been a well sorted car in its former life.
    Jaguar Green running SBC350 with a Getrag box.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Tink I’d rather hire put my own body than the Cobra. Probably wouldn’t make much mind you unless they were paying by the kilo.

Ferrari California ....320HP/Tonne
    Cobra....................550HP/Tonne

Nope.

But I guess it’s really an emotional connection question, if it’s just a tool then go for it (with sufficient insurance etc), there will be plenty of people willing to spend the money.

Jim
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jim View Post
    Ferrari California ....320HP/Tonne
    Cobra....................550HP/Tonne
    I'd guess most would be below that figure, no, Jim? I mean.. weight circa 1200Kg and an RV8 Cobra could be <300hp. We aren't all slapping giant superchargers onto LS1s, you know (He says, wondering what a blower would look like on an FE..)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast