Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Grill

Front Grill

Looking at the front of my cobra build it is a concern that the radiator front is very vulnerable to stone chip damage, most classics and modern cars have some sort of grill to reduce this, any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

I've got a fine 1/4" mesh painted black, set in front of the Rad a couple of inches so the front nose remains open (Which I prefer) each to their own style!

Steve
    Last edited by Steve-Art; 06-04-21 at 11:44 AM.
    AK 427, Chevy 350, Jag Getrag

If you can make it - MAKE IT!

Same but I only have the mesh on the lower half of the radiator as the top does not get stones (above the front opening). This also maintains maximum air flow.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

That's a good plan Chris, what size rad are you running for your FE, I know its not the same but as I will be running a 427 I was thinking the cooling requirements should be similar, I assume you have no cooling issues running as you are? I have a 4 core SD1 rad (standard was 3 core) so I might put a half cover on the rad myself.

I bought a sheet of black (hexagonal ?) mesh from car builder solutions but got the larger of the two sizes to maximise air flow.
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

I remember someone on here doing some air flow tests and it was surprising how much mesh grills reduced the air flow. You might want to fix it lightly first David until after a road test. If you Tiger Seal it, it ain’t coming off in a hurry!
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    That's a good plan Chris, what size rad are you running for your FE, I know its not the same but as I will be running a 427 I was thinking the cooling requirements should be similar, I assume you have no cooling issues running as you are? I have a 4 core SD1 rad (standard was 3 core) so I might put a half cover on the rad myself.
    I run a high performance rad, used to be a Griffin, now an Afco (same dimensions) I use the same rad as the F1 Stock car boys, 75mm thick. You can also get them as dual pass for even better cooling. Murray Harrison (Harrison Racing, Kettering) keeps them in stock.
    My 427 is fine when it’s moving, gets a bit sticky when stationery but never boils. They have a bit of a reputation for being on the warm side. Thin cylinder walls don’t help!
    I also make sure all the air is forced through it by using aluminium around the outside and glued to the body. I also run a high flow pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Dek View Post
    I remember someone on here doing some air flow tests and it was surprising how much mesh grills reduced the air flow. You might want to fix it lightly first David until after a road test. If you Tiger Seal it, it ain’t coming off in a hurry!
    Dek
    I remember that thread Dek, and although I have had some issues in this area, they were more to do with fuel delivery than anything else. Now the fan is programmed to come on earlier and I have an override switch for it I’m hoping that’s solved the problem.

My main wish is to stop rocks hitting my expensive & difficult to get at radiator !
    David (AKA Firestarter29)

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

I am currently making a radiator shroud to force all the air through the front of the rad. Some pics in the RAM forum, hoping that will have a big impact on cooling as well.

I removed my grill last year and put in side deflector shrouds to the rad, I reckon it's made at least 5° difference when on the move especially in slower traffic and when the fan kicks in when static it takes less time to get the temp down

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast