Thread: Sun Visors

Sun Visors

I bought some sun visor hinges from Europa Spares, when I came to fit them, the holes in the small bent tab that attaches to the screen frame were too small for the 4BA screws to pass through and the hole centres were out by about 0.5mm. I opened the holes out to 3.5mm, to allow the screws to pass through, which is when I found out that the hole centres were out. It's not a lot, but enough to make it impossible to get the second screw in without binding on the edge of the hole, or cross threading. I could elongate the hole with a small round file, but they are countersunk, which makes it difficult. My screen is a Brasscraft screen and the holes are 5/16" centres. I am just asking if anyone else has encountered this? I think I will have to fill at least one hole per bracket and re-drill it. Cheers, Mick

Can you share a photo, I have recently been doing a lot of work with mine but mine seem to have enough adjustment to deal with small irregularities, so I am not sure why you don't have any/enough.

The issue may well be fitting Europa sun visors to Brasscraft screen. Bought all from Brasscraft and no issue
    Charlie
    Joint Area Rep - East Midlands Region
    AKCharlie - ''AKA SOOTY'' - AK GEN2 - LS3 - 6.2litre - 434bhp - A dream come true

Had a similar issue - very difficult to get 2nd screw in on one of them. I think I just tried getting one screw in by 1/2 a turn or so, and then tried putting the second one in and then half a turn at a time till it sat down. Not idea as it does bind on the edges of the hole.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCharlie View Post
    The issue may well be fitting Europa sun visors to Brasscraft screen. Bought all from Brasscraft and no issue
    Charlie
    I suspect Charlie is right. I have a Brasscraft screen and fitted Brasscraft Visors, perfect fit
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021, Sold September 2021.
    TVR Chimaera restoration project in progress

That's probably it then, all mine fits together well and is all Brasscraft

If you need to elongate the hole to get it to fit then I suggest you elongate both of them but to a lesser extent. Just enough to to give you wiggle room without going too much into the countersinking on both.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Just got to be said that is one fiddly job given the size of the screws. You need the dexterity of a neurosurgeon. Surprised I managed it! I did set myself up for multiple failures though by placing a white sheet in the footwells to find the screw every time it fell
    Dek

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I would have been better buying Brasscraft hinges, but I've made some new brackets to attach to the screen surround, the correct 5/16" pitch, problem solved! I had to remove the drivers side seat after dropping a screw, should have put a sheet down first. Cheers, Mick