Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ram header / expansion tank

My original type RAM tank has 2 inlets in it, one on each side. Now I know one goes to the radiator but where the hell did the other one go? I cant remember and don't think I have anywhere else for it to go!

In this pic you can see I have the overflow shoved onto one of the outlets from the tank, just to get it out the way.

And on the other side of the tank is the one that goes to the radiator.

Been making a radiator shroud , this is just the section that goes round the rad, the rest fits between these panels and the bodywork to force all the air through the rad.

Once i get this lot painted (not the ally) then I am ready to put the body back on for the final assembly to continue.

One should go to the top hose and the other to the bottom hose to allow any air locks to escape.
    I would either rubber mount the top or bottom mounts to allow some movement and expansion of the rad. Solid mounting will eventually get core shift and leaking rad.

The rad sits on rubber mounts and the top is fixed into floating nuts so there is no stress on the rad itself at all.

That's good news James so you should be ok without any future issues.

Yes, I don't want to be trying to take that lot out in a hurry, will be a bit of a nightmare, inner wings out all sorts to get that shroud out and without that out you cant get the rad out. I am still at a loss where that other pipe used to go because I am certain it did not go to the lower hose. The other one does not go to the upper hose but goes to the rad, top corner so its the same thing.

One of mine goes to the top of the rad, the other goes to the top hose on the filler cap (non pressure cap). Std 3 core SD1 rad.

what rad are you using?
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Roger you must have an expansion tank with cap in the system like mine. No pressure cap on the rad.

I have an uprated 4 core sd1 rad. It has no cap, nor is there one in the coolant hose, the only cap it ever had is on the tank. Not that I could not put one in the hose, have not got that far yet!

Yes, pressure cap is on the expansion tank as per James photo. I have a filler in the top hose with just a plain cap in place. Rad has no cap at all.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Ok, thanks Roger, I will see if I can concoct a new method of plumbing the second pipe in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast