Thread: Tyre pressure

Tyre pressure

I.ve got 245/17 tyres all round and just need some advice on what sort of tyre pressure may be needed, the kits an AK with small block chevy and jaguar donor axle so its fairly conventional weight wise. Perhaps its a case of trying a few pressures to see how the kit drives or is there a more scientific approach ?.
    Any recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    I.ve got 245/17 tyres all round and just need some advice on what sort of tyre pressure may be needed, the kits an AK with small block chevy and jaguar donor axle so its fairly conventional weight wise. Perhaps its a case of trying a few pressures to see how the kit drives or is there a more scientific approach ?.
    Any recommendations.
    The more scientific approach is to use a laser thermometer. Get the tyres warm and measure the temperature at the inner, middle and outer aspects of the tyre. At the correct pressure there should be an even contact patch with the road across the width of the tyre and hence an even temperature. Over inflated temperature will be higher in the middle. Under inflated temperature will be higher at the edges.
    Dek

I have a Dax with SBC. 235/45x17" front - 255/45x17" rear.

Have always tended to run around 17-18 psi front and rear.

Went touring in Scotland a couple of years ago - 3 weeks & ~2k miles. Had the rears at 20 psi for that (extra luggage) - and left it at that since. Just had cause to remove rear tyres and they have been wearing more in the centres - so would suggest 17/18 psi would be a good starting point for you.

Cheers
    Geoff

Thanks Geoff
    As you say 17/18 psi seems a good starting point, under pressure particularly on the front and the steering may be heavy so its a case of either increasing or decreasing the pressure.
    Thanks

245/17 on the front ?
    make sure you check tyres don’t foul the inner wings on full lock.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Have checked the clearance on full lock and its about 25 mm on the inner wing, i could increase that a bit by cutting back the lower lip of the inner wing but it does clear so i think i will leave it.
    Good advice though.
    ps i will also check it with a trial run and again when the tracking has been done.

Hi,

22psi front , 24psi rear.

Jon

AK