Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris1 View Post
    I wouldn't get too worried about it, but if you are, it doesn't take much effort
    to sort it.
    I've just done mine on my SR cobra, you don't need heavy gauge wire to carry
    out the work as there is no high current involved with static electricity.
    What I would add, as you have mentioned the fuel sender unit earthing,
    mine is insulated earth return so would have no effect on the metal fuel tank earth .
    As a guess I would think most are insulated earth return and not the normal standard
    earth return units.
    I have had my cob for over twenty years as well, so this thread has prompted me to
    do it !
    Thanks to all those who have bought this to my attention.
    Chris.

That's a good point, I've always had a cable from my filler to the tank, although I don't fully understand this it said to do it in the build notes and who am I to argue. The tank would have originally been grounded (to the car) via the sender, no dedicated ground.
    I realised recently that since I've changed my gauge sender I don't have this ground so have now added a ground line from the loom to the tank.

Apologies if it’s already been quoted in a previous post but on my DAX I fitted a slightly larger fuel tank not the DAX one so had new brackets made, but the filler neck I had made and put swaged 10 mm fitting for a breather hose high up. I then put an extra good quality 51mm clamp on the filler neck and made a small earth strap from neck to chassis, passed IVA and also no gear knob markings, good luck.
    mark chambers
    Dax de Dion 350 Chevy

No offense to the op but have you actually read the iva manual? All answers to your questions are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    No offense to the op but have you actually read the iva manual? All answers to your questions are in there.
    err... war and peace? and certainly can be open to interpretation.

Failed IVA today, didn't even question the earth for fuel filler or tank, but with full tank of fuel strong smell of petrol in boot?

No leaks and it was determined the breather was not going to outside of vehicle, so simple fix.

I need to sort out IVA compliant mirrors as the nice looking, but crap bullet style ones fitted give very poor rear viewing.. any ideas as if fitted to windscreen frame must be permanent (not clamped) and fold in if knocked.

I need to remove fuel tank and make up a box frame with triangulated support for top seat belt mountings as they are bolted into a sort of T frame, not good enough in an accident.

All in a pretty good first attempt with a handful of fails, they reckon to fail about 99% on first test btw.

Lucky with exhaust which thought would fail, limit is 99.9db and mine was 99.5db

They have very little in way of bookings at the moment, at one time had 4 of them around car ... but they were decent blokes and helpful.

Sounds like a good outcome.
    I thought they were OK with Pilgrim seat belt fixings at Gillingham, but hey ho.
    Quote p.67?
    https://www.pilgrim-motorsports.co.u...l-merged-1.pdf
    You have the same issue/set-up as Hawks do, as the tank is in the way.
    Have a look here for some ideas... https://cobra289fia.com/2015/12/20/s...-mounting-kit/
    You need to add pillar mounted mirrors that fold back - plenty of pics of these available on the web, and can be purchased from Europa and other suppliers.
    Last edited by KevinW; 05-05-21 at 09:27 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

There were 2 main testers at Gillingham, they often could not agree.
    example:
    1) I was going to get fail for position of side repeaters, but two other testers pointed out he had miscalculated and they were in fact legal. In fairness to tester he did admit error to me and attempted to explain a very complicated mathematical equation they use.
    2) The first digit in chassis number was not spaced close enough to the second digit D VLA instead of DVLA, they said they would let this go, but when writing report a 3rd tester in office insisted it was a fail as someone could put a 1 or an I after the D to read DIVLA... but why would someone do that to make an illegal 18 digit chassis number?
    3) The front indicator position is to low, although obviously must go in position of the formed front section that they fit in, they finally agreed the answer is to have lower half of lens blacked out... now this obviously does not relocate the indicator but merely reduces its visibility by 50%, so effectively placing the visible light a few CMs higher.... this appeared plain stupid to me, but they agreed that is the way to resolve issue.
    4) The fog lamp and reversing lamp is one central unit placed as high as possible fixed onto rear panel just below boot handle, the fog lamp previously fitted was much lower beneath rear panel (as many are), I thought that position was to low but they at first thought even my lamp was to low and it was 15cm higher than the one I removed?
    The fog lamp was wired to only come on when lights are on, but they said it must only be able to come on only when headlights on, not side lights? Now this made no sense to me as a fog lamp accidentally left on in poor light when only side lights on is unlikely to bother other drivers, however a fog lamp accidentally left on when headlights are being used in the dark will obviously be more of an issue, they actually agreed with my point.. but rules is rules.
    5) They were aware the type of SBC engine was made in years that meant no emission test required, however the certificate supplied confirming year as 1968 was not accepted because the engine number on certificate had one digit error, there was a 6 when it should have been a 3, obviously a basic mistake as the company that supplied the certificate simply misread number on block by one digit. So even knowing the year the engine was built meant no emissions test the refused to accept certificate.
    Last edited by TurboFreak; 06-05-21 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Sounds like a good outcome.
    I thought they were OK with Pilgrim seat belt fixings at Gillingham, but hey ho.
    Quote p.67?
    https://www.pilgrim-motorsports.co.u...l-merged-1.pdf
    You have the same issue/set-up as Hawks do, as the tank is in the way.
    Have a look here for some ideas... https://cobra289fia.com/2015/12/20/s...-mounting-kit/
    You need to add pillar mounted mirrors that fold back - plenty of pics of these available on the web, and can be purchased from Europa and other suppliers.
    Ref seat belt mountings, yes they are fitted as shown in Pilgrim construction manual, however they pointed out manufacturers of kit cars often get it wrong, so it's tank out to rectify by fitting a more robust frame to support the inertia belt fixing point.

They said they had irate customer who's £100k car had failed on 3 attempts now.. and was not happy with manufacturer of kit (I don't know what car it is), the perspex used does not have a approval stamp, the manufacturer of kit insist it's to required standard and gave customer stickers to put on the perspex, however as you know IVA do not like stickers.... so refuse to pass it!

wow, i will need to look at this too, not heard of it before but as this is a standard detail on the Pilgrim, you think it would come up a lot? Have you spoken to Pilgrim about it yet? Would be interested to see your proposed solution?

Quote Originally Posted by TurboFreak View Post
    Ref seat belt mountings, yes they are fitted as shown in Pilgrim construction manual, however they pointed out manufacturers of kit cars often get it wrong, so it's tank out to rectify by fitting a more robust frame to support the inertia belt fixing point.

They said they had irate customer who's £100k car had failed on 3 attempts now.. and was not happy with manufacturer of kit (I don't know what car it is), the perspex used does not have a approval stamp, the manufacturer of kit insist it's to required standard and gave customer stickers to put on the perspex, however as you know IVA do not like stickers.... so refuse to pass it!
    Thanks,

Grumbleweed

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    wow, i will need to look at this too, not heard of it before but as this is a standard detail on the Pilgrim, you think it would come up a lot? Have you spoken to Pilgrim about it yet? Would be interested to see your proposed solution?
    I really believe it all depends on where you go.
    Gillingham and one of the ones further North that some AKs have been tested at have an issue on triangulation.
    My Crendon tested at Gillingham is the only Crendon that needed the seat belt pillar triangulated: 48 cars before me, and several since - no issues at other test centres.
    They also failed me on using Merlin Motorsport seat belt spreaders - had to make much larger ones, but you don't need them on a Sumo anyway.
    My Sumo passed SVA at Gillingham in 2007, as did many others, and no seat belt issues. Down to individual interpretation of the rules. Worth speaking to Pilgrim though.
    Last edited by KevinW; 06-05-21 at 11:56 AM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Quote Originally Posted by TurboFreak View Post

I was referring to the EU Seatbelt pull test that's certified in the build manual. But your easiest route is probably to build a beefed up triangulated cage.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast