Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Chevy 350 Performance

Evening all!
    I’m thinking about tweaking my engine a bit. It’s a fairly standard 350 with a slightly warm cam and an imitation holey carb. I wondered what was the best improvement to start with.
    I’m thinking possibly EFI or a hotter cam or new heads that sort of thing.
    Just wondered if anyone had tried anything similar and had good results or had great results with something else. Not looking for a drag strip monster, just a bit more ‘poke’ then my current setup. Will be doing a run on a dyno before and after so can quantify any changes!
    Thanks!
    SHELBY :- Dax, Chevy 350, Tremex, side pipes, blue + stripes, cream leather... Beautiful

Stroker kit all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Boxoftricks View Post
    Stroker kit all the way.
    That sounds expensive! Guess it’s an engine out job too? Basically an engine rebuild or have I got the wrong idea?

Difficult to say not knowing exactly what you have but assuming the bottom end is all good - maybe a pair of iron heads (Sportsman II) and matching roller cam. New inlet and carb only if needed. Should give a worthwhile gain.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

Hi Zac,
    all down to your available budget obviously.
    How about an LSX conversion?
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

How about this for an escalating approach?
    A cam
    A cam and heads
    A cam, heads and inlet manifold
    A cam, heads inlet manifold and carb
    All of it plus a decent ignition system
    Engine out and full rebuild plus the above
    Engine out and stroke it plus the above
    There really is no limit to what you can do, it’s about how much you want to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    How about this for an escalating approach?
    A cam
    A cam and heads
    A cam, heads and inlet manifold
    A cam, heads inlet manifold and carb
    All of it plus a decent ignition system
    Engine out and full rebuild plus the above
    Engine out and stroke it plus the above
    There really is no limit to what you can do, it’s about how much you want to spend.
    Perfect Chris, thanks! Is it possible to do a new cam and heads without taking the engine out?

It would be helpful to know what your set up is right now. Some performance parts you may already have fitted so additions of other parts would enhance what you already have. Also it depends what you want. I built my engine to my own specifications which makes it unique. I intend making further mods to break the 300BHP barrier.
    A 350 should be able to make 1 BHP per cubic inch with relative ease with the correct combination of pistons, heads, carb, manifold etc. Anything much above that would usually involve making the capacity bigger as mentioned before by stroking the engine. However you will need the correct block for that, ie, a four bolt main block to ensure the strength of the bottom end. You will also need to know what you are doing with selecting the correct crankshaft, conrods, pistons etc.

Bolt on power is easily achieved on a 350 with the correct selection of heads, valves, camshaft, manifold and carb or carbs. But again you will need to gen yourself up on what works with what. For example, a single plane manifold would not necessarily work with a Holley 600 vacuum secondary set up for a shopping car!

Do some reading first, it will save you lots of money and heartache. Stroking an engine is engine out and rebuild with machining the block as well.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Quote Originally Posted by zac View Post
    Perfect Chris, thanks! Is it possible to do a new cam and heads without taking the engine out?
    Yes, heads not too bad, cam a bit trickier but it should be possible, depending on the room you have in the front to pull the cam. As others have said, you need to work out what you want to do and spend. Options are endless. One simple route is follow a well known path, for example, an Edelbrock set of performer cam, heads and when can be afforded manifold. These components are all matched by Edelbrock and work well together. There is good info on the website.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

This might be a silly question, but for a few hundred £, I could probably install a NOS system that’d give me a safe (I think!) 75-100hp. Is this a ridiculous/stupid idea? It seems much more cost effective and would only give power on WOT keeping the car very driveable for everyday?
    Would need a new fuel pump I think, but as far as I can tell everything else would be ok stock?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast