Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fiberglass Supply Shortages

I'm facing some serious delays in the delivery of my Sumo body module apparently due to national shortages of fiberglass material, just wondered if anyone else has been affected by this?
    Building a Mk3 Sumo - Rover 3.5

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

Matt or resin?
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

There are supply issues but the bigger problem is price increases.

I have had no problems getting mat, resin and associated materials from CFS

Apparently the matt?

It’s happening on loads of things. Perfect storm, lack of labour, low output, high demand. That all equals inflation and ultimately higher interest rates!
    We need to end the furlough scheme and get some labour resources in to the market imho

Hi,

I brought this Fibreglass kit for my Pilgrim back in January for £22.83 on Ebay. It's currently at £22.94, it had really good quality matting in the kit and came with a paddle. They do other kits as well with more or less materials and equipment. I used 2 of these kits to bond in the rear arches and inner sills if that helps with volumes.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibreglas....m46890.l49286

I just looked and I should have brought the 2kg kit as it would have been cheaper doh!. Still I didn't know how much I would need to do the job. £34.40

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibreglas....m46890.l49286

Hope this helps?
    Last edited by Sumocobra; 25-05-21 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Updating reply

Try getting building materials!, the plaster shortage is over but there is a worldwide shortage of cement and timber prices have gone through the roof

Resin bought in bulk is around £3 a kilo for general purpose,

Mat is around £50 for a 30kg roll so dependent on thickness/weight of mat it is around £0.50 to £2 a square metre.

Brushes are pence and paddle rollers around £3 each for the cheap ones.

A cobra body shell without panels dependent on lay up and if core mat is used, takes circa 30kgs to 40kgs of resin to make

Well i'm in the hands of Pilgrim's body suppliers, i ordered the body module at the start of February and they haven't even started it yet due to lack of materials.

Thanks for the links Sumo, i'll get one of those kits on order (basically spending my time stocking up on the all the items i need to fit to the body once it arrives).

Coincidentally, interesting piece on the BBC website today on the building materials shortage, i'm in the industry too so experiencing it first hand. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57247757
    Building a Mk3 Sumo - Rover 3.5

If you're not meant to eat animals, how come they're made of meat!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbleweed View Post
    Well i'm in the hands of Pilgrim's body suppliers, i ordered the body module at the start of February and they haven't even started it yet due to lack of materials.

Thanks for the links Sumo, i'll get one of those kits on order (basically spending my time stocking up on the all the items i need to fit to the body once it arrives).

Coincidentally, interesting piece on the BBC website today on the building materials shortage, i'm in the industry too so experiencing it first hand. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57247757
    If it doesn't resolve, suppose you could look for a second hand project on ebay - keep the body and flog the rest.
    I wonder if Pilgrim have been busy with the muscle car business to keep themselves afloat during lockdown.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast