Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rover V8 Clutch Cover to Flywheel Question

I've just taken delivery of my second, second-hand clutch cover because I thought that I'd bought the wrong one when the first one didn't fit over the alignment pins in on my flywheel. This second one doesn't quite fit either and matches up to the holes on the first.

So, either the flywheel isn't right (the engine code suggests it started life in an automatic P6, so it's definitely been added but before I bought the engine), although the teeth on the starter mesh properly and the bolt spacing and clutch disk wear ring matches what I would expect from a manual Rover V8.

I suspect that if I insert the bolts and tighten them down, they will pull the plate over the pins, but I thought I would check if this slight misalignment is unusual; has anyone seen this before? In my time spent working on cars, I think this is the first occasion I've needed to work on a clutch.
    ~~~~~~
    Sumo Mk3

How "slight" is the miss-alignment? Could be the cover has some distortion and if pulled true may be correct.
    Do the bolt holes align?

There's a few things I'd avoid secondhand, parachutes and condoms for instance, and a clutch would be another. Bearing in mind the grief of replacing it and the cost new I don't really see the point.

Just a couple of mm. This is for a gearbox experiment that might not work, so no reason in spending more than necessary at this stage. They're second hand but not used.
    ~~~~~~
    Sumo Mk3

Quote Originally Posted by skinnymathew View Post
    Just a couple of mm. This is for a gearbox experiment that might not work, so no reason in spending more than necessary at this stage. They're second hand but not used.
    Few mm is way too much. Sounds like you’ve only either got the wrong clutch cover(s) or the wrong flywheel. Possibly one which has had a new hole pattern (badly) machined on to it.

There aren't any other holes in the flywheel so I dont believe it's been reworked. Plus, there are marks from it having a pressure plate previously that look very similar to photos of RV8 flywheels I've found on the web. I'll take some pictures of the flywheel later and double check the part numbers on my cover plate.

23 spline 9" clutch kit from a TD Land Rover ?????

I'm sure I've used something similar in the past that had the 23 spline friction plate
    but the clutch cover holes were all fine but the locating pins were slightly out on my SD1 flywheel.

Jim JRv8 will probably have all the answers for you 👍

Following with interest.

Can you share some more details of what you are up to/experimenting with?
    Classic Replica Viper IVA passed 25th March 2021, Sold September 2021.
    TVR Chimaera restoration project in progress

I'm starting to think that the engine was in a Triumph Stag before I bought it. I know the lady I got it from was the widow of a Stag restorer and reading up on this topic it looks like the RV8 was a popular conversion back in the day but that, more recently, people have preferred to put them back to stock.

I say this because the back of the flywheel doesn't quite match anything else RV8 that I can find and it looks like the Triumph clutch might be 1/8" smaller in diameter than the Rover one. Plus, I read a post that said you used to be able to buy a complete kit, including flywheel, to do the swap.

Kuga, I'm experimenting with an MX5 gearbox. It's been done by another Sumo owner but they used a custom flywheel and concentric slave, whereas I'm trying to use as many stock parts as possible and stick with the current cable clutch pedal.

I've just measured the distance between the centres of two locating dowels on the flywheel and their corresponding holes on the clutch cover.

The flywheel looks like it has the dowels at a radius of (just over) 135mm and the cover looks like the holes are at a radius of (just under) 137mm. That means the diameters differ by about 1/8"

If anyone has access to a 2WD Rover V8 flywheel, I'd be grateful if they could measure between the centres of two of their locating dowels and let me know what it is (probably about 237mm).
    ~~~~~~
    Sumo Mk3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast