Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coil questions

Coil questions

So after a recent breakdown I suspected the coil was the problem. It was mounted on the inner wing in the engine bay, and I am suspecting a little too close to the heat from the headers.

Coil is an Accel DFI High performance e-coil that was partnered with a Accel 6A ignition box and an Accel electronic distributor. However, there were problems with this, so I disabled the ignition box a long time ago which fixed the problem, car has run way better ever since. The blurb says the coil can run with points or an external ignition box. Pic here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QxpYXJFcCKF8So5t5

- the coil is obsolete now, but is remarkably similar to this product, albeit slightly different spec:
    https://www.holley.com/products/igni...ls/parts/86415
    [Holley owns both companies now].

Today started my investigations by removing the coil from the car.

Primary spec is 0.5 ohms ; my measurement 0.3-4 ohms
    Secondary spec is 8.9k; my measurement 3.4k

I think that means its likely passing too much current and requires replacement.

Before jumping in, I still have to check that there is a good signal coming from the dizzy tomorrow (12V dc feed seems fine).

Assuming the coil is shot (tbc), looking for suggestions on a decent coil, and if anyone has made a deflector of some sort to keep the heat away from their coil.
    Last edited by KevinW; 05-07-21 at 08:02 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Hi Kevin,
    I just had a look at my spec for an early RV8 coil, it won't be much use to you I know,
    what I have discovered is the primary gives me 1 ohm and the secondary is 5 k ohms.
    The coil is for used in conjunction with a ballast system and can only find the spec for
    the primary winding which is .8 - 1.2 ohms, nothing for the secondary winding?
    As for position of coil, it is mounted upside down with the chimney about 3'' from
    the header .
    Now that I have checked all of this I will now have to start up and go for a drive to
    make sure everything still works !
    Chris.

I can't actually help given I haven't started my engine yet (my Flamethrower II coil is mounted to the passenger side head) but thank you for making me go look at the wiring diagram and realise I was wiring it in wrong! (And also that I forgot to wire the tacho to it!)
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I can't actually help given I haven't started my engine yet (my Flamethrower II coil is mounted to the passenger side head) but thank you for making me go look at the wiring diagram and realise I was wiring it in wrong! (And also that I forgot to wire the tacho to it!)
    are you running an ignition box, and if you aren't using one, like me, and its just an electronic dizzy, is this the product you are using:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYPE-2-BA...BoC96gQAvD_BwE
    Crendon Chassis No.49

I have an Ignitor 2 module inside the distributor but no MSD 6AL or the like, and yep but not chrome (bling bling!) just the black 45011 coil like this: https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/...-in-black.html

Or Amazon US (no experience of ordering from them in the US, but I expect you'd get hit by duty etc): https://www.amazon.co.uk/PerTronix-4.../dp/B00199DPWQ
    My DeDion build diary..

OK, so I dont have pertronix fitted, so think I'll go with this....
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MSD-8223-...BoCXvYQAvD_BwE
    Crendon Chassis No.49

I have the msd high vibration coil as I wanted to mount it on the engine for various reasons, and have it mounted horizontally on the inlet manifold.

it’s been used for 15 or so years without issue.

Sounds like you need to get it away from the headers, keeping it on the engine also minimises the ht lead length down to a min.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Quote Originally Posted by RogerKnill View Post
    I have the msd high vibration coil as I wanted to mount it on the engine for various reasons, and have it mounted horizontally on the inlet manifold.

it’s been used for 15 or so years without issue.

Sounds like you need to get it away from the headers, keeping it on the engine also minimises the ht lead length down to a min.
    ah, good idea Roger, I was pondering that yesterday, but I've put the order in now. Wonder if I could mount it vertically on front of the engine?
    If it goes back in the same space, I will def need to either bend up some ali or buy an enclosure for it to prevent direct heat from the headers.
    Crendon Chassis No.49

If you go with the standard shape tube coil (like the MSD Blaster you linked to, or the Flame Thrower coil) there's an off-the-shelf bracket available that will bolt to the two holes on the end of your passenger side head.. which is where mine is (mostly because that's where Clive put it, and it fits neatly there). It's not vertical, but it's vertical-ish.
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    If you go with the standard shape tube coil (like the MSD Blaster you linked to, or the Flame Thrower coil) there's an off-the-shelf bracket available that will bolt to the two holes on the end of your passenger side head.. which is where mine is (mostly because that's where Clive put it, and it fits neatly there). It's not vertical, but it's vertical-ish.
    Interesting - have you got a pic?
    Crendon Chassis No.49

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast