Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jag IRS Question...

I always try to Google this stuff first, but I really can't seem to shed any light on this one.

It's about my IRS rear shock mounting spindles/shafts. They're approx 11.5mm dia. Other folk seem to have shafts that are 5/8". Anyone know why? Can the spindles/shafts be swapped for the larger ones if required?

Advice appreciated guys.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

Not sure I fully understand the question. Sounds like the ones you have are 7/16" so they must have used both sizes over the years. Maybe the smaller ones under a lighter car. I presume you would have to swap the lower wishbones to go for the larger bolts but I'm not sure why you would want to under such a light car.

Have I got the wrong end of the stick?
    Cheers

Myles D-W

I was asking because I've seen shocks for sale which have a 5/8" ID bush top and bottom, but on my car they are 7/16". I'm thinking I could fit sleeves to the spindles to make them up to 5/8". I'll take a look at mine again later...

Quote Originally Posted by Bannon View Post
    I was asking because I've seen shocks for sale which have a 5/8" ID bush top and bottom, but on my car they are 7/16". I'm thinking I could fit sleeves to the spindles to make them up to 5/8". I'll take a look at mine again later...
    Don't know if this will be any help, on the early Southern Roadcraft with Jag i r s the rear top bushes were taken
    from the original rear shocks and used in conjunction with the new fronts .
    Chris.

Wow, it's humid today - after much sweating and grunting, I now know that my mounting spindles are shouldered - 5/8 through the axle and reduced to 7/16 at the ends. They're also removeable so I can swap them out. Even if I can't find a 5/8 set, I can get them machined. Any suggestion where I can buy a set?

SNG Barrett amongst others.
    https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/uk/home
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Mine are shouldered, I made sleeves, there is no weight on the back of these cars so sleeving them would be fine, the car ran for years with no problem using them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Mine are shouldered, I made sleeves, there is no weight on the back of these cars so sleeving them would be fine, the car ran for years with no problem using them anyway.
    Yeah, I'd be ok with that. I'm still confused though. Were some spindles 5/8 from standard? If so, I could try to get a set. Still searching...

Sorry, I don't know the answer, just decided to use what I had as I felt that the lightest car they could have come from was an e-type and that's still much heavier than the rear end of a Cobra.

I was over-thinking this one. I've ordered 1000mm steel bar, 5/8" dia. Cut into four 250mm lengths, get an M12 thread cut on each of the ends, job done. Cheap and easy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast