Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie saying Hi

Hello everyone!

I'm a long time cobra fan and I've now got the opportunity to buy one. I wish it could be an original but I would need more than two kidney's to afford one of those. Therefore, replica it is. I've been to see one advertised at Hallmark cars and it's a beast. I love it and have put a holding deposit on it. It doesn't follow your traditional rep with cream seats, blue paint and some white pin stripes but rather is a bare bones race car look with very limited interior and ceramic coated white exhausts. The spec is as follows;

Dax Cobra
    De-Dion chassis
    Built 2006 as a new car and registered on a 06 Plate.
    Registration number EU06 WGP
    Big folder full of build receipts / paperwork build manual
    Big block Chevy V8 8200cc
    Tremec TKO600 gearbox
    Upgrade street twin clutch
    Upgrade Edelbrock EFI
    Elite valve covers and air filter
    All of the above supplied by Repower
    Chassis supplied by the factory as rolling
    Power steering
    4 into 1 side pipes
    Stainless lifter jacks front and rear
    Alloy radiator
    18” Halibrand alloy wheels with spinners
    Toyo Proxes T1-S tyres
    Jaguar suspension and brake parts all round
    Adjustable shocks all round
    Removable Le- mans hard top with heated rear screen
    Black leather seats
    Moro-lita wood rum steering wheel
    Willians black harness seat belts
    Smiths instruments

I would be good to get your thoughts on the value of such a vehicle as this will be the most expensive thing I've ever bought (apart from the house) so wanted to make sure it's about right.

Hi there (Name?)
    Wow!! that's 498ci that's going to drink some.
    Can you post a link to the advert in Hallmark?
    Sounds like a nice motor.
    More and more are going with the more dare I say "original" styling of black interiors these days.
    Have you joined the club yet?
    https://www.ukcobraclub.co.uk/join/
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Hi Kev, my name is George. It is a beast but it's fuel injection so hopefully not as bad as if it were on carbs. It's going to be a weekend summer fun car so fuel mpg isn't really an issue as it won't be doing loads of miles. Not officially joined the club yet but will do so once I've physically got one.

It's doesn't have it's own page yet as I got in before it was officially advertised. His intention was to respray it, put lots of brightwork back on and fit a nice "comfortable" interior. Then he could be asking for a lot more. I like the rugged look and the black paintwork has fake patina and most of the artwork is hand painted to give that 60's look.

https://www.hallmark-cars.com/sales

The offer accepted was slightly below what he is asking.

Hi George,
    I like it!.
    For me I'd be ditching the 17" wheels for 15" and balloon Avon Tyres.
    If you join the club the insurance discount alone with most companies will more than cover your annual membership of £28.
    Kev Davies
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD

Think they are 18's so even bigger and sadly more expensive tyres. Think the rear are 295. My plan would just be to enjoy it the first couple of years with no mods, just maintenance. Like a house, live in it for a bit before doing any renovations as you then know exactly what you want to do.

So far insurance wise Footman James have offered the best quote, with agreed value, roadside and recovery and 2k miles a year for £360 which considering I'm 36 with no discount for this car and 8.2lt I think is quite good. They should offer club discount too so I'll be sure to join once the car is fully purchased.

Nice one George!
    Kev Davies

It might be the Chevy 502cu engine injection which is what Dax put in there last demonstrator.
    Looks a nice car and you will have great fun. I would not worry about mpg unless you were looking at lots of European touring but again what's an extra few hundred of fuel for a tour.

Hi, George, welcome to the club....Nice car, great engine congrats, I'm sure someone else will say it but take it easy when you first get it, (especially when caught in the rain)!
    Where in Salisbury are you? I'm 15mins north east of the centre.

Steve
    AK 427, Chevy 350, Jag Getrag

If you can make it - MAKE IT!

Hi Jon & Steve,

Can't quite remember what the ci of the block is but it has about a 10 inches of paperwork with it including the engine build so it'll be there somewhere. I may plan a few European tours in the future, possibly classic le man. My wife and I toured Europe for our honeymoon 6 years ago in my old BMW Z4C, 6500 miles which was great fun although won't do anything that huge in the cobra as I'd need a new mortgage to fund the fuel for it. 😁

Don't worry, I'll be taking it very easy for a long time. I've driven a few high powered vehicles in my past, nissan skyline R32 with 450bhp although that did have some driver aids. I've also had a few classics such as a couple of ford Capris and my last modified car was an old MK4 ford Cortina. The original 2.3 auto went bang so I put the BOA ford cosworth engine in pushing near 300bhp with no abs, no traction control or power steering. It was fun and a bit of a handful, spinning the wheels all the way through to third but I had to sell in the end as I was using it as a daily which was bad enough in the winter but the 12mpg was killing me on my commute.

This Cobra is purely a weekend sunny weather toy. Can't wait. 😎

Hi George, welcome to the club and forum. They are all personal choice and if you like it that’s all the matters. I like the period look plus the black paint work. Kev beat me to it ref the wheels… needs some 15” halibrands and more rubber imo but if you like it that’s all that counts. Go careful with 8lts!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast