Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Heater hose routing - show me your hose(s)!

I blame KevinW for the title of this, he keeps talking about hoses.. anyway, moving on!

I've been trying to figure out how best to route the heater hoses from the front of the engine around to the heater spigots protruding from the end of the passenger footwell. Generally I've tried to keep as much wiring & hose out of view as possible (tucked under the lip of the body etc) but on these I'm struggling a little - 16mm ID hose is pretty hefty OD, for a start!

So .. anyone care to show me how they've routed the heater hoses? In particular I'm thinking about the requirement to secure them to the engine and/or body (depending on route) and whether I go for a big 'loop' around the engine bay or try and reverse their direction and go straight across the front from left to right (driver to passenger side). Bonus points if your picture is of an FE as you'll have the same outlets as me.. for reference, I have one outlet at the front of the inlet manifold, pointing toward the drivers side, and one outlet on the water pump.. also pointing toward the drivers side.
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    I blame KevinW for the title of this, he keeps talking about hoses.. anyway, moving on!

I've been trying to figure out how best to route the heater hoses from the front of the engine around to the heater spigots protruding from the end of the passenger footwell. Generally I've tried to keep as much wiring & hose out of view as possible (tucked under the lip of the body etc) but on these I'm struggling a little - 16mm ID hose is pretty hefty OD, for a start!

So .. anyone care to show me how they've routed the heater hoses? In particular I'm thinking about the requirement to secure them to the engine and/or body (depending on route) and whether I go for a big 'loop' around the engine bay or try and reverse their direction and go straight across the front from left to right (driver to passenger side). Bonus points if your picture is of an FE as you'll have the same outlets as me.. for reference, I have one outlet at the front of the inlet manifold, pointing toward the drivers side, and one outlet on the water pump.. also pointing toward the drivers side.
    I didn't like the idea of hoses flapping about, ( enter Kev ) so i made up a pair of solid ones and formed them to fit around and tight to the front of the engine. Just flex from the waterpump/manifold to under the wing then flex to the heater stubs at the bulkhead/footwell.
    Painted them satin black, gloss looks dreadful on an engine and matt shows greasy marks.
    Add a couple of tabs for bolt fixings as reqd
    Not sure if you can see by these photos.
    Just a thought.
    By the way soft solder an olive to the end of the pipe to prevent the hose being pushed off under pressure and when hot, it always happens on the motorway if its going to.

Ciao

David
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cheers David - yep, I can see those pictures and that's a very neat solution! I wish I'd thought of that before I ordered 10m of rubber hose but I think I may emulate that!

Interesting.. your throttle cable is on the opposite side to mine. Do I have my carb on backwards?
    My DeDion build diary..

Cheers David - yep, I can see those pictures and that's a very neat solution! I wish I'd thought of that before I ordered 10m of rubber hose but I think I may emulate that!

Interesting.. your throttle cable is on the opposite side to mine. Do I have my carb on backwards?
    It doesn't really make any difference in the real world, I just liked the look of a neater throttle cable with the least amount of bends.
    I did many months of reading, research and trying the carb on both ways for several months ( real world testing ) and it made not a difference to anything.
    There will be others who have read endless pages on google and tell you its wrong, they are probably correct, but I tried it and it works fine.

Thread deviation for a second, that's my dilemma, it works great, even removed the choke plate and it starts, with a helping foot for a minute or so, but I have a brand new Holly Terminator and fuel pump set up ready to install. Been on the shelf in the shed for 2 years, just got to bite the bullet and go for it, but the carb works so well.

NB Sell Kev the hose, if he doesn't get on with the other half of the rear lights I may go down there and slap him with it

Cheers

D

Real world testing trumps internet research every time! I'll keep it as-is for now unless I end up with a compelling reason to try it the other way (like something gets in the way of something)

Quote Originally Posted by Bigblock View Post
    Thread deviation for a second, that's my dilemma, it works great, even removed the choke plate and it starts, with a helping foot for a minute or so, but I have a brand new Holly Terminator and fuel pump set up ready to install. Been on the shelf in the shed for 2 years, just got to bite the bullet and go for it, but the carb works so well.
    I went with the carb as a 'stop gap' in a way - it's easy to get up and running (I, er, hope!) and I can dabble with fuel injection later.. maybe.

NB Sell Kev the hose, if he doesn't get on with the other half of the rear lights I may go down there and slap him with it
    I ordered 10m of the stuff .. that's going to leave a mark!
    My DeDion build diary..

Real world testing trumps internet research every time! I'll keep it as-is for now unless I end up with a compelling reason to try it the other way (like something gets in the way of something)

I went with the carb as a 'stop gap' in a way - it's easy to get up and running (I, er, hope!) and I can dabble with fuel injection later.. maybe.

I ordered 10m of the stuff .. that's going to leave a mark!
    When have you been known to change your mind ?

The Terminator is a self learning system, big in the good old US of A, even Engine Masters did a run with it vs a std Holly, David Frieburger of Roadkill did a set up, from the box, self learning etc, and they were amazed at how good it performed. Not expecting much mpg improvement, but 10% on 12mpg ish would be nice.

The more the better, encourage Kev to get on with it

Such a joy to have such friends.
    Anyway, I suspect Aaron has other uses for hose, once he gets out of the handcuffs

Dave: Yeright, no progress as tonneau fitting and fitting a new coil to get back OTR have had to take precedence....and its too damned hot to be dealing with rubbing down.
    Fear not, I shall return to the matter in hand once its cooler and there are less events to go to....or when the 4th wave fucks us all.

Aaron: my heater hoses run over the top of the manifold in a little hose tray. You can just about make out the hose and 'tray' in these pics
    http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/sho...rendon/cat/500
    http://www.cobraclub.com/gallery/sho...php?photo=3537

....actually ...hang on....why are you bothering? - you have a heated windscreen, so no need to connect the heater hoses anyway. That would be more original for an S/C!
    Last edited by KevinW; 21-07-21 at 04:21 PM.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

He has a heated screen 🙄, be telling me there are heated seats in it as well.
    We can discuss heater routing at the kit car show with Aaron, and other riveting subjects.👍.

I do have a heated screen .. but no heated seats, I'm not that soft. Although every other car I have has them, so maybe I am (Sadly the RRS doesn't have the heated steering wheel option, and only half the heated windscreen works anymore! I think they let Lucas loose on the electrics..)

Actually, I shouldn't have bothered with the heated screen IMHO; it caused a massive delay in getting the screen, means I have two unsightly wires to hide somehow (from the screen into the car - they sprout, upward from the bottom of the screen) and my gut says it won't do much for me anyway given most of the problem is likely to be rain on the inside of the screen, not condensation but, I'm there now and the wiring is in.

I fitted the heater as well because I wasn't entirely convinced the IVA man would accept "It'll demist, trust me!" - and the slots in the scuttle were already there..

Kev - the tray is nice! I think I'm going to go with the hard-line option, though; I need to have a fiddle with some gash bits of pipework and see what will fit, where

That kit car show.... was it this year's Stoneleigh I was meant to have it finished for? Ahem..
    My DeDion build diary..

That kit car show.... was it this year's Stoneleigh I was meant to have it finished for? Ahem..
    Yes it was. You've got 5 weeks.

I'm a bit pissed off this morning, as our local car show organisers (Storrington & District Classic and Sports Car Enthusiasts aka SADCASE) have written to me today to say there's been a cock-up and I' not even on the waiting list to include my car in the local bank holiday show. So I am indeed a very sad case today.

.... now thinking about Stoneleigh.

Ofcourse if I do go, it means I wont be sanding the hardtop that w/e, Dave
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast