Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PS: If your Edelbrock has a power valve, it's also worth checking that its diaphragm is OK. Holley's have a protection circuit (a springloaded ball bearing) to protect the PV against blowbacks, but I'm not sure about Edelbrocks.
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - now sold
    2003 E85 Z4 3.0i - the new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gowan View Post
    Hi, yes will run without. Still not sure on timing settings tbh. Everywhere I look seems to be trial and error running up and down the road… keep advancing dizzy until it pinks that turn backs deg or two.. ?
    Although total timing seems more of the figure to look for. About 34/35 deg on a mild 351w? But then if I change the bushing for more centrifugal then I can reduce the initial but most places so don’t worry about initial so why bother changing bushes for centrifugal?
    Cheers
    You probably need to have it as far advanced as you can and still start it to get the best out of it. Neither do you want pinking.
    I don’t know your engine spec. My old FE runs at 19 static

Not likely to do any touring tbh
    Raining heavy now so no test run today…
    I’ll see what summit say and then hopefully some dry weather.. initial is currently on 15/16 deg BTDC and it runs smoother ie a more constant vacuum on manifold . Manifold vac jumps all over the place when less than 14 deg

Don’t know what the cam is, but it’s a 351w built about 20yrs ago with Edelbrock torque 2 inlet and GT40 heads of that helps..with MSD 6AL

Quote Originally Posted by Gowan View Post
    Don’t know what the cam is, but it’s a 351w built about 20yrs ago with Edelbrock torque 2 inlet and GT40 heads of that helps..with MSD 6AL
    I would say (without ever actually owning a 351!) 15 or 16 sounds about right. My old FE loves a bit of advance, 19 static gets me about 38 or 40 all up. When I get the GT40 done it will be electronic timing via the MSD box. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

I would look for max timing first, with no vacuum. The idle is then set using the bushes.

I have a 351 Cleveland with a msd billet set to 36 all in at about 3000( I think), the bushing were set to the min swing of mechanical advance so with a all in of 36, that gave a 14 idle ( I think 22 degrees is the min you can set with the bushes supplied).

You then need to test for pinking under light load with the vac advance coming in. You might need to mess around with the springs to adjust how quickly the advance comes in.

each engine is different. Set it up for the all in first.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Hi Roger , thank you
    It’s knowing what the total timing needs to be .. it seems that that is set purely by trial and error and pinking?? The standard bushing is 21/22 deg centrifugal as you say, which give 15 deg ish of intial. With the Mallory is was originally set at 14 BTDC which adds up. It runs without the vac advance connected at around 14 BTDC so I just need to road test when it stops raining at the weekends….. as I’ve now tested the canister with a vac pump and found that it’s not holding vac I’m hoping summit will get me a replacement quickly and that is the only issue regarding vac advance connection… cheers

Perfect thank you, very good read.. just need some road time to push it to pinking then retard slightly …

If you have good fuel (Esso Supreme 👍) you will get a lot further without pinking. Add some TetraBoost and even better. About 36 or 38 all up seems to be the objective. You might find it won’t start when hot if you have it too advanced. That’s something to watch as well as pinking. Whichever comes first, pinking or not starting will be your limit I suspect.
    I need to read that article properly too in preparation for the GT!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast