Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel filling

Fuel filling

Hi all. Just bought a cobra based on a sumo MK3 (details to follow later), and I'm struggling with the fuel tank. it's got the 70L tank I believe, but can only get 40-ish litres in it.

It doesn't seem to have a breather anywhere that could be blocked. Has anyone else seen anything similar or have any ideas?

Thanks

Do you mean you run it till the fuel gauge says zero, try to fill it up and it only takes 40?
    In which case - welcome to the world of crap fuel gauges. Unlikely to be a blockage.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

No I actually ran out of fuel and could only get 40L in, and the gauge then showed 1/3 full. Crap gauges I understand but not a 40L tank

Ok, I don't understand that - others may be able to offer a different view.
    If you are running a standard MkIII Pilgrim, then the tank is literally 2-3" directly below the fuel filler - no cinks, no long pipes nothing. The fuel pick up pipe in the tank should suck fuel from an inch or so off the bottom of the tank. If its been cut off half way up, then that would explain your problem, but you should be able to rig up a dip stick to see how much fuel is in your tank and figure it out from there with a tape measure on the tank (Vol = l x w x h).
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

yep bog standard fuel inlet, guess I'll have to have a play around, a bit frustrating, because otherwise its great!

Many years ago I was told about an issue where a tank breather had become blocked and the fuel pump has still managed to suck out enough fuel to deform the tank under the vacuum.
    Very unlikely it's that but when you have an issue you don't understand I guess everything's on the table.

I would have thought it wouldn't be to difficult to carry out a visual inspection
    of the inside of the tank to see what is going on.
    The Southern Roadcraft that I have has a fifteen gallon aluminium tank
    and can see inside without any special equipment.
    The Pilgim one I would have thought would be similar.
    Chris.

Something not quite right there, is it possible the fuel pick up pipe is damaged, bent, broken? If it's somehow too short it won't draw fuel to the bottom of the tank (does that make sense?).

Pilgrim web site says 70l so you are well short https://www.pilgrim-motorsports.co.u...proved-design/. On the flip side I did read about a guy in the states who had a similar problem, bought a second hand Mustang that would only take 5 gallons of fuel to fill up, had the tank removed to find out why and found 50kg of resin (the smoking kind) very well wrapped hidden in the tank. Very unlikely but maybe a faulty/blocked baffle (do they have baffles) might be worth getting one of those phone camera endoscopes available for not a lot on ebay.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Quote Originally Posted by Gatwick Axe Man View Post
    Something not quite right there, is it possible the fuel pick up pipe is damaged, bent, broken? If it's somehow too short it won't draw fuel to the bottom of the tank (does that make sense?).

Pilgrim web site says 70l so you are well short https://www.pilgrim-motorsports.co.u...proved-design/. On the flip side I did read about a guy in the states who had a similar problem, bought a second hand Mustang that would only take 5 gallons of fuel to fill up, had the tank removed to find out why and found 50kg of resin (the smoking kind) very well wrapped hidden in the tank. Very unlikely but maybe a faulty/blocked baffle (do they have baffles) might be worth getting one of those phone camera endoscopes available for not a lot on ebay.

Graham.
    Definitely worth looking into, a similar thing happened with some disused Rusian tanks,
    they had something like fifty odd 1 kilo gold bars stashed in the fuel tanks !
    If found to be something like resin I suppose you could use it as filler or what ever .
    Chris.

If the pick up pipe was bent I could understand not emptying the tank, but that should still show a high level on the gauge.

Having a low level on the gauge and running out implies to me that it really is running out and the gauge is accurate, but either it's got an airlock, or as someone else says perhaps the tank is buckled so it doesn't have the capacity any more. Guess I do need to do some inspection with an endoscope.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast