3D printing, advice on what to ask for.

Afternoon all,

completely out of my depth here as in "I know nothing", I'm after getting one of these made locally https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4666497/files. It's a "thingy" for mounting a red dot scope on a digital camera (astrophotography, Daughter, Duke of Edinburgh award). I have no idea what to ask for with regards to what it's made from, doesn't have to be super strong as there is no weight to the scope but needs to be rigid enough not to move. No idea where to get it done yet as I wanted to ask the learned what I should be asking for first.

Any comments more than welcome.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

EBay word search…

Universal Camera DSLR Hot Shoe to Finder / Red Dot Shoe Adapter

Much easier
    GD Mk3 Jag based
    Supercharged LS1
    GD J1M

Having done a bit of 3D printing (there's a prototype clutch release bearing carrier rising out of the resin as we speak), I'd be tempted to buy a proper product for the application you referenced, rather than have one printed; I assume the thing you mount on it is quite expensive and so I'd be concerned that the linked design wouldn't hold up to being knocked (assuming it was even oriented when printed to maximise the strength of the part).
    ~~~~~~
    Sumo Mk3

Hi Graham.

I happened to be doing a 3D print run this morning, so I've run one of these off for you.

I've tried it on my Canon DSLR it's its a nice snug fit in the shoe. I've made it using PLA+, which is less brittle than PLA but is still rigid enough for the job.

If you PM me your address I'll pop it in the post to you. No charge - you can buy me a pint next time we meet!
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - now sold
    2003 E85 Z4 3.0i - the new toy!

After posting this I replied to another post and got the dreaded “Internal Server Error” message again, so I can now only access the forum from my mobile using a mobile data connection rather than my home wifi ( because my VirginMedia IP address has been blocked).

Graham - I’ll login from time to time to check my PMs, or you could phone me using my TV rep numbers from an old copy of Snake Torque!

Alan,

PM sent.

Graham.
    AK gen 1 delivered 05/05/17, on the road shortly!

Replied - will post today.
    Alan

Ex CRC Thames Valley Regional Rep - please contact me if you're interested in taking on the role!
    UK Rep for European Cobra Club (eurocobra.boards.net)

Dax 427 DeDion - now sold
    2003 E85 Z4 3.0i - the new toy!