Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I agree, I would bench test after fuel pump No 1.
    The best way to kill fuel pumps is to over heat them. Usually caused by dodgy connections or crap in the fuel tank.
    Also the vacuum operated pressure regulator at the end of the injector rail can fail causing the pump to overwork. Although I would think that would take longer than a few runs...

Quote Originally Posted by incey1966 View Post
    I agree, I would bench test after fuel pump No 1.
    The best way to kill fuel pumps is to over heat them. Usually caused by dodgy connections or crap in the fuel tank.
    Also the vacuum operated pressure regulator at the end of the injector rail can fail causing the pump to overwork. Although I would think that would take longer than a few runs...
    That's what happened to my 1999 Focus, took car for mot, passed then was presented with cert only to
    be told they couldn't start the engine!
    My thought that I had only about 30 miles in the tank, I put another gallon in and still no go .
    Towed car home, carried out tests that confirmed fuel pump failure.
    Cuting the story short, ordered replacement in tank pump that came with sub loom .
    When I removed old pump it had turned out to be the connections to the pump inside the tank had cooked.
    The pump itself was probably OK but the terminals were history, bit worrying you would think with arcing
    going on in the tank !
    The pump / small sub loom replaced and all good to go .
    Chris.

tried to start it today but same problem even with a fully charged battery,started fine yesterday,nothing today.
    ill try changing the fuel pressure regulator but i dont think itll maek any difference.
    seriously thinking about selling now,i feel ive reached my limit.

Have you considered the possibility that it's nothing to do with the fuel system at all? Your problems seem to be intermittent and so the engine starting/not starting when fuel pumps are changed could just be coincidental. Do you know anyone nearby that has more experience than you? It would probably be easier to sort out if your advisor was there in person rather than on a forum.

Hi ,
    Interesting thread .
    I have a Rover Vitesse 3500 here that has the same problem. If the car is used regularly there isn't a problem , but if it is allowed to stand for a few months the fuel pump will refuse to work. Similar to the original poster , I have changed the pump and the problem still exists on the new pump . I have discovered that if the power supply to the pump is reversed a few times , the pump will spring into life again , also if the pump is removed and bashed on the floor this will also do the trick . I now believe that it is either dirt being picked up from the tank or the impeller is sticking in the pump due to the E5 in the fuel going "off" and sticking the tips of the impeller to the pump body .
    I have a different design of external fuel pump here that I intend to fit to the car and see if it cures the problem.

Regards
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrv8 View Post
    Hi ,
    Interesting thread .
    I have a Rover Vitesse 3500 here that has the same problem. If the car is used regularly there isn't a problem , but if it is allowed to stand for a few months the fuel pump will refuse to work. Similar to the original poster , I have changed the pump and the problem still exists on the new pump . I have discovered that if the power supply to the pump is reversed a few times , the pump will spring into life again , also if the pump is removed and bashed on the floor this will also do the trick . I now believe that it is either dirt being picked up from the tank or the impeller is sticking in the pump due to the E5 in the fuel going "off" and sticking the tips of the impeller to the pump body .
    I have a different design of external fuel pump here that I intend to fit to the car and see if it cures the problem.

Regards
    Jim

That's a good point, I did have a (single) fuel pump failure on my car a few years ago, pump was quite old and car had been stored for a while (couple of years) and not used at all, not even spun over, so similar circumstances.
    Even over winter now I'll typically turn on the ignition now and again so the pump spins over every now and again, think I'll conciously do that more going forward. I also try and store with the 'best' fuel in possible, I'll be looking for low E Esso this year.

hi,
    thats an interesting thought,ive changed the pump so many times now the connections are just strong croc clips,ill try reversing the power and see if it unsticks the pump.i may also completely drain the fuel and put in some fresh.
    (the 1st time i started the engine it wouldnt start untill a few days later i realised id connected the pump in reverse!).
    thanks for your input.

so turns out it was bad fuel,,all that time,changing parts,getting stressed,numerous pumps.
    im fuming at my self that i didnt suss it sooner,i knew it would be something stupid and simple.
    i even thought of it early on and thought "naaa wouldnt be that"
    What was it that spock said "if you eliminate the impossible,whatever remains,however improbable must be the truth"
    lesson learned!!

Quote Originally Posted by corniceman0_0 View Post
    What was it that spock said "if you eliminate the impossible,whatever remains,however improbable must be the truth"
    lesson learned!!
    I think Arthur Conan Doyle May have said it first though.
    strange that bad fuel should stop several pumps pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
    I think Arthur Conan Doyle May have said it first though.
    strange that bad fuel should stop several pumps pumping.
    yes that what i thought,maybe a case of moisture condensing in tank on hot summers day in garage so water in fuel shorting out pumps.?
    in any case,ive been starting it everyother day with fresh fuel in a jerry can(bypass fuel tank)and its "sweet as a nut" on 1st turn every time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12