Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Petrol resistant gasket sealant

Can anyone recommend a good petrol resistant gasket sealant or gasket making material for the fuel gauge sender unit in the boot.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Blue Hylomar will do it.
    DAX Cobra. May contain nuts. Always read the label.

I found good ol' Hylomar really hard to find until I stumbled back to Cromwell Tools (not a place I thought I'd find sealant!): https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/adhe...mpounds/f/7991
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Thanks guys.

I am reluctant to use Hylomar Blue, as a few people on other forums and this cobra forum have said that the Hylomar Blue dissolves ,especially if it is in contact with petrol for pro- long periods, which will happen if i brim the tank, and i want to make sure it seals the dip tube sender permanently .

http://www.cobraclub.com/forum/showt...light=permatex

"Permatex Permashield fuel resistant flange sealant" looks like the right stuff and gets some good reviews, has any one here used this stuff to good effect ?

Permatex® PermaShield™ Fuel Resistant Gasket Dressing & Flange Sealant – Permatex

Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Blue does breakdown when in contact with fuel. I have first hand experience of that. I use hylomar red. A little difficult to get hold of but the best I've found to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by alunwill View Post
    Blue does breakdown when in contact with fuel. I have first hand experience of that. I use hylomar red. A little difficult to get hold of but the best I've found to do the job.
    This stuff? https://www.cromwell.co.uk/shop/adhe...pounds/f/33944
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Or Wellseal. Also available from Cromwell.

Is the sender on the top of the tank? If so then I would think the gasket supplied should be ok without any sealant.
    Cheers, Clive

(If I'm not here, I'm either in my new workshop or on the golf course!)

depends who's tank you have. Some senders are merely held in place by self tappers. Others the tanks flex. All in all if you want to minimise fumes in the boot you may need a good sealant. Check it without, you can always add it if you have an issue

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Is the sender on the top of the tank? If so then I would think the gasket supplied should be ok without any sealant.
    Yes the sender is at the top of the tank, and originally had just a gasket which sealed the original float type sender ok.

However i now have a VDO dip tube sender ( which has made a fantastic improvement to the accuracy of the gauge) ,which has a different bolt pattern ,so an adapter plate was made , which is sandwiched in between the tank and dip tube sender, using sealant ,which worked ok for several weeks, but after i put a wee bit too much fuel in , this meant the petrol was in prolonged contact with the sealant , which i think softened it ,and now the sealant is leaking .

So i have now ordered a cork and a rubber gasket from Merlin Motor Sports and will fit one first of all without sealant, then if it still leaks ,try the other gasket ,if that fails i will try the Wellseal that Chris recommended.

Not having much luck with leaks at the moments, mind you it looks like most of our cobras are incontinent bu--ers
    Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast