Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ethanol in fuel

Is there anywhere you can get information on the actual percentages in each fuel rather than what they are allowed to use?

Interesting to note the effect on mixture.....

Air/fuel ratio enleanment
    Ethanol contains approximately 35% oxygen by weight and will therefore result in fuel mixture enleanment when blended into petrol. Petrol containing 10% ethanol for example, would result in a mixture-leaning effect equivalent to approximately 2.6%, which may be felt as a power loss, driveability issues (hesitations, flat spots, stalling), but also could contribute to slightly hotter running. Adjusting mixture strength (enrichment) to counter this problem is advised to maintain performance, driveability and protect the engine from overheating and knock at high loads.

In fact, this page is well worth a read. Lot of useful info on varying fuel used in each season (who knew!) that can cause vapour locking
    https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels
    Last edited by Lloyd Barnes; 05-08-21 at 09:35 AM.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Bit of a minefield this! Also, Google seems to lead to many contradictions! It is difficult to get to the manufacturers specifications to be 100% certain what is what. However, Esso do publish their data and we can be 100% certain that Esso Supreme is Ethanol FREE (providing that is, you are not buying it in Devon or Cornwall!!!!).
    That is what I shall be buying whenever I can but I will still be adding the TetraBoost and always making sure I have some in the boot so I can fill up at a non Esso station with 'super' at 5% and know I can 'cancel' the Ethanol.
    A garden machinery shop issued a Facebook post yesterday warning of increasing issues with garden machinery due to Ethanol. They included some pictures of some very nasty looking carburettor internals! It's only going to get worse. With all the potential damage, lower performance, environmental issues at source etc it is difficult how this can actually be carbon negative. I bet if you did a proper calculation it has increased emissions. Just like electric cars and their horrendous batteries!
    More 'headlining' without proper thought I suspect.
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

I think we all have to do our own research and take a view.
    My setup and checks thus far suggest I’m ok on E10.
    fuel tank - stainless steel - ok
    rubber fuel pipe - all certified
    fuel pump - Carter - ok for Gasohol (E10 in USA)
    Edelbrock carburettor - ok for Gasohol according to their website. It does go on to say that alcohol/ E85/race fuels void warranty but seemingly ok with E10.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

I'm OK to run E10 but will continue with the higher octane E5 fuels. Holley say that all their current carburetors are OK with E10, I'm guessing as they have had ethanol for much longer than us current means at least 10 or 20 years.
    If you research your own fuel system there should be no requirement to add expensive additives, but each to there own.
    Baz

Apart from the lack of information, or the variability of it, I believe there are more issues than just a few seals or 'o' rings - the videos that show how to remove the ethanol from a gallon of fuel demonstrate how easily ethanol mixes with water, possibly leading to condensation and then corrosion where you cannot see it happening. Are you sure all the components in your fuel tank, pump, lines and carbs are going to be OK? Small price to pay for some peace of mind, and if you go on a long journey away from your usual filling station can you guarantee to always be able to get E5 or better? One or two tankfuls may not matter, but we do tend to leave our cars standing idle for a lot longer than the daily driver.

Be interesting to see if more vapour locking issues crop up. I'll be hunting down Esso Supreme as well Chris.
    Lloyd B
    Current: Crendon #54 in build - 427 Side Oiler/Cobrajet Heads/Dual 600cfm Holleys/4 speed toploader/Vintage cast knock on wheels
    Dedion Dax/Clarkson 383 Chevy with roller 4/7 swap cam, AFR195 heads - SOLD

Hi,

I've been using a product called Sta-bil storage which is designed to treat and protect fuel systems against corrosion and varnishing when not running the car for a while.

They also sell a product called Sta-bil 360 which is designed to stop the effects of E10 when running a car day to day.

https://www.sta-bil.co.uk/products/s...40136043856052

Not sure if this will help?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Bit of a minefield this! Also, Google seems to lead to many contradictions! It is difficult to get to the manufacturers specifications to be 100% certain what is what. However, Esso do publish their data and we can be 100% certain that Esso Supreme is Ethanol FREE (providing that is, you are not buying it in Devon or Cornwall!!!!).
    That is what I shall be buying whenever I can but I will still be adding the TetraBoost and always making sure I have some in the boot so I can fill up at a non Esso station with 'super' at 5% and know I can 'cancel' the Ethanol.
    A garden machinery shop issued a Facebook post yesterday warning of increasing issues with garden machinery due to Ethanol. They included some pictures of some very nasty looking carburettor internals! It's only going to get worse. With all the potential damage, lower performance, environmental issues at source etc it is difficult how this can actually be carbon negative. I bet if you did a proper calculation it has increased emissions. Just like electric cars and their horrendous batteries!
    More 'headlining' without proper thought I suspect.
    Having read this thread i decided to pop down to my nearest ESSO garage , thinking it would have this ESSO Supreme and nope , none of the pumps had any. So i need to do a search to see which garages in my area actually sell Ethanol free fuel.
    Paul.

AK Huddart Chevy 383 Stroker, BMW Royal Grey Metal Metallic , 5 speed Jaguar Getrag , Holley 670cfm 4 barrel street Avenger Carb, 450 BHP at flywheel , 460 Ibs/ft torque, and luvin it !

" We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing" - George Bernard Shaw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12