Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethanol in fuel

Ethanol in fuel

I have been using Lucas Safeguard at the last couple of fuel fills (Tesco Momentum) on a big block Ford and realised I would soon need more additive for this and maybe the garden tools and an older classic - getting hard to find at a reasonable price so I stumbled upon this web site - Lucas Oils Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Treatment 473ml - Cool Air VW
    5 bottles for under £12 each delivered - anyone got any better ideas? Some of the alternatives are very small bottles that are only for a lawnmower or a small outboard.
    Seems hard to get a definitive position on who is adding E10 and who is not. The risk seems to be corrosion internally as well as failed pipes and seals.

I think you will find that fuels like momentum, Shell V Power, BP Ultimate have 5% ethanol. Esso Synergy + has 0 ethanol but a few garages may have 5%. I just use Shell V Power for my Ford big block with no additives.

Baz

Thumbs up for Esso Supreme. Tesco Super also. I use this additive https://www.classic-oils.net/TetraBOOST-E-Guard-15 It actually cancels the Ethanol chemically.
    I’m sure everyone has a favourite but this is mine!
    Classic Oils are a good outfit too.
    PS I dribble a bit in all my garden machinery in the autumn to save the spring hassle!!

The OP lives in Surrey which should ensure that Esso Supreme is actually E0, and Tesco super apparently. Check out the Esso website for their statement. Of course it carries a premium price, as you would expect.

probably cheaper to by std unleaded and add the additive if you are chasing the pennies. Not sure how the additive listed works in eliminating the ethanol effect on non ethanol proof rubber fittings seals etc, especially on e85 as claimed, 85% alcohol .

personally I would ethanol proof the fuel system as much as I could, my tank is stainless, all the pipe and fitting is suitable for ethanol, the only iffy bit is likely to be the Holley, but the yanks have had ethanol in their fuel for some time and they seem to manage.

I just make sure the last fill before winter lay up is with Esso E0, and touch wood, don’t seem to have seen any issues.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Has anybody heard of or tried removing the Ethanol by adding water and then draining it off? Obviously would have to be done in some kind of jerry can and not possible when out and about but may be an option for storage.

There is a video on YouTube showing the process but how can you carry this out for every fill up is my thought. Not practical IMO

I mistakenly filled up the Cobra with E10 whilst in France a few years ago.
    It ran so badly that even the wife was asking me what was wrong with the engine - very rough running like it was miss-firing and it also ran hot. So would think that if you're going to ethanol proof the fuel system, you'd probably be wanting to retune the engine also. Think I'll stick to searching out/using the premium fuel for now.
    Cheers
    Geoff

Been using the redex lead additive for years in my rover V8. Added to normal unleaded. No issues so far.
    https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/redex...RoChCMQAvD_BwE
    But with more ethanol being added to normal fuel I feel I may have to look at the better fuels.
    I am now wondering, am I doing the right thing??
    Ian

If you live in West Sussex, Power garages provide zero ethanol.

https://powerpetroleum.co.uk/

One in Storrington if any locals interested.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Tesco Momentum is indeed 5%.
    Kev Davies
    South Wales Area Rep. UKCC Membership Secretary
    DAX Mk4, 383 Chevy Stroker, Tremec. SOLD
    Contemporary CCX 3-4028, 445ci Big Block FORD FE,TKO 600, Old School IVA'd and SOLD
    Dax De Dion LS2 and T56 IVA'd June '17 SOLD
    1965 Ford Mustang 289 Convertible SOLD
    In build- Hawk 289 Sebring Awaiting IVA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast