Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooling system

Cooling system

Hi All.
    First post for me here.
    I sadly need a new Radiator for my Sumo Mk2 3.5 Rv8 (Any suggestions welcome, links and advice).
    Parts info and advice?
    Access and replacing the radiator on the MK2???
    At the same time I’m looking replace all hoses ( Again welcome some thoughts and links, advice and experience).
    Coolant: water mix or waterless?

I have a duel fan set up.

Thanks all

I used a rad for a Ford transit 2,5 diesel, never had any cooling issues, I also have twin fans but I dont think the second one has ever had to kick in even in hot weather traffic, just normal water/antifreeze mix, I found that rad slim enough to slide over the top of the top chassis brace...just...made my own top braces to the rad

Roger

Our Pilgrim is Chevy engine and I replaced the old Sierra radiator 18 months ago with a new one from these guys:-
    https://www.coolexperts.co.uk/
    I sent them the old rad as a pattern.
    However as the new rad 50mm it wouldn't slide over the top of the chassis.
    I cut an access hatch into the offside inner wheel arch and withdrew the rad from there, slid the new one in, very easy.
    This also gave easy access to three of the four rad-hose connections.
    Top brackets were home made.
    Twin fans were fitted by Coolex and I fitted a twin sensor fan switch to stage the fan switch on, don't think it's ever got hot enough (in UK driving this year) to switch the second fan on.
    I bought replacement hoses from Pilgrim, but had so much trouble with them ballooning up, that I went and bought a selection of blue silicon hoses and fitted them instead, no trouble with them.
    Coolant is 50/50 mix of distilled water and orange anti freeze.
    Hope this is of use.
    Regards, Don

Thank you. That’s been a great help.
    Cheers

I see the eBay one has the fan mounted with the through the radiator fixings. These fixings are what started the leaks on our old rad. As they vibrate slightly during driving, they slowly wore holes in the cores. Our new rad has welded on brackets and has 50mm core as I mentioned.
    New Radiator.pdf
    A Sierra rad is still going to be 30mm core. Our rad was about £50 more expensive that that one eBay, maybe the seller will take an offer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oAfiu3TTnc94o2N99
    That's mine installed, fans are bolted to the edge flange and some brackets, it was only one of the regular rads nothing special, cost about £100
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293384285...YAAOSwXeteRVuM
    Last edited by rpm015; 08-08-21 at 08:23 PM.

The minimum should be a 50mm aluminium for a v8 , as the water volume is almost double which is what you need to shift the heat from the block. A 30mm will struggle big time and not be enough. Your fans will always be running.
    I run a 75mm copper rad and total system volume is 3 1/2 gallons ! My fan brings down the temperature and switches off even in traffic .
    Last edited by jon1d; 09-08-21 at 01:44 PM.

Without measuring it as far as I can remember mines 40mm thick, the fans are controlled by a x-fan twin sensor on the bottom hose return to the engine, ( that's a whole different discussion!), first fan on at 93 off 88 second on 97 off 92, as I say don't think the second has ever been on, I do have ducting from the nose to the rad and that reduced driving temps by about 5' and reduced fan running time in traffic, fan running time isn't excessive

Hi All
    Thanks for the Advice. Thankfully it was all too easy. The quality of this build had already in
    Place the very thing to easily remove the radiator.
    Stainless inner wing removable panels, removable radiator mounting bracket. Came out easy.

Found a new transit 2.5 D Rad for £35 on EBay.
    Changing to a Mocal oil cooler with new lines whilst it’s all out.
    New coolant hoses all round.
    Twin fan mount
    New elderbrook filter upgrade.
    New Alternator belt.
    Fresh juices all round.

Nearly BACK together. Thanks for all the advice. Loved working every minute on this car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast