Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    I have a Holley but I have locked out the choke to permanently off. First start of the day I give four or five pumps and she starts right up. After about thirty seconds to a minute of tickling the accelerator to keep her going she achieves self sustaining idle and I crack on with the day. Been like that since 2004 when I finished the build with no issues.
    My start procedure is similar to yours,
    the electric part of the choke is still in place but I have removed the choke flap a long time ago.
    When I start the engine the electric part of the carb helps to raise the idle speed until warmed up,
    this has always worked fine for me. I have thought about a manual set up as I like to have total
    control of the warm up procedure and if your ok with a manual set up that's the way to go in my
    opinion.
    I just haven't got around to changing mine because it has never been an issue .
    As for the OP issue with the blowing fuse, I think most of the other posts from the other members
    have proberly covered most of problems that it could be .
    Just will add that the continuous rating on most auto motive fuses is half the value that is on the fuse .
    Chris.

Guys - thank you for all the ideas

Yes it has electric choke and yes that was hooked up last of all - I never realised it took such a draw - I'll isolate it and try again.

Yes it has a ballast resistor but built into the Sparkrite coil and I've checked, it still books 1.5 Ohm like it says it should - this has been in for weeks without any fuses blowing, so I'm leaning less towards this as the culprit.

i've been a bit busy with work so I'm jumping on it tomorrow, I will update the forum then.

Thank you all - so much appreciated.

cheers

Gary

Hi Guys - sorry it has taken a while to close this one out, but covid wiped me out for a couple of months. Anyway I'm fit now and have an update.

I rewired as Jon suggested and still struggled, turned out there was a direct short in the starter motor coil, so I bought and fitted another new starter motor and it started first time!

Wonderful noise, I can't possibly see it passing IVA with open exhausts though.

Thank you all for the support - brilliant as usual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12