Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    That is actually an issue with me. My engine tends to run hot regardless of thermostat fitted and how many fans I have running. Idling in traffic is a pain in the arse for me. I started getting very twitchy whist queuing for Silverstone Classic, and I'll be doing that again in three weeks time for the revival.
    Ally heads need ally blocks so that they have similar coefficient of expansion thus reducing the risk of warping. Plus like I said, I don't want to be spending squillions to gain 15bhp, if I'm lucky!
    Now that I know what I have got, I'll stick with them. She's not exactly a race car. She has the noise and some performance, (or she will have once I have rounded up the escaped horses) that fine for me. I'll only end up being an organ donor if I tried anything radical in a Dax by driving like a spanner! They don't have the best road manners in the world these cars.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Try tipping a bottle of Redline Water Wetter in when you rebuild it. I know it sounds daft but it really does help the cooling a little, usually between 5 and 10 degrees. Certainly helps mine a bit and I have mates who swear by it.
    Try a cowl? Other than that it’s probably a better water pump and/or radiator if you want to improve cooling.
    Ultimate cooling option probably a dual pass radiator, that would definitely cool it!

What radiator are you running copper or aluminium and core size ? Do you have a cowling and what fan or fans do you run?

A efficient fan system in traffic with drop the engine temperature and switch off in traffic. If your fan is constantly on your system is not able to get rid of the heat. I had no cowling and a single fan 14 inch which always ran. Fitting a 16inch high efficient twin speed fan and cowling made a big difference. It only operates on the single speed but it pulls air through like you would never believe.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

I recently fitted a Nissan S13 triple core radiator with twin fans as the Dax rad sprung a leak and I couldn’t find anyone to fix it with a warranty. And new ones are Fort Knox money.
    But I’ve always had a problem getting rid of heat even with the Dax item.
    When I do the heads I’ll replace the water pump as well. That’s been in there for upteen years and was second hand anyway. So more for peace of mind than anything else. I also need to have a cooling pipe made up and welded as what I have in there at the moment is a cobbled up affair with silicon bends, straight and reducers. Not ideal.
    Looks like over the winter months the old girl is going to get a very good birthday! And I’m trying to save up for a colour change respray too. Luckily the wife has a sense of humour!
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

If the heads have to come off, I would be tempted to get them converted to hardened valve seats.

induction hardened seats are only so thick, if the seats need to be recut, could easily remove the hardened material .

you can also get rid of the additive, off set some of the cost of conversion.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

on the road 20 years- nearly finished

Quote Originally Posted by RogerKnill View Post
    If the heads have to come off, I would be tempted to get them converted to hardened valve seats.

induction hardened seats are only so thick, if the seats need to be recut, could easily remove the hardened material .

you can also get rid of the additive, off set some of the cost of conversion.
    That's the plan. Already got costs for hardened seats and a new set of exhaust valves. I'll get a very light skim done too.
    David.

Worth doing it properly once you have them off. A decent machine shop should tell you if they need skimming and check the guides and seats (inlet if you are having new exhaust) to see if a re-seat is necessary. You might want to check the valve spring heights and shim to specification after the work. I find they often vary a bit.
    Enjoyable work on a rainy winter day!

Quote Originally Posted by Darnpistonbroke View Post
    That's the plan. Already got costs for hardened seats and a new set of exhaust valves. I'll get a very light skim done too.

once complete would be good to get feedback on who did it and the costs, I’ll need to get it done at some stage before petrol becomes obsolete.
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by RogerKnill View Post
    once complete would be good to get feedback on who did it and the costs, I’ll need to get it done at some stage before petrol becomes obsolete.
    Real steel have all the parts required on the shelf including the seats. So all I need doing is the machine work.
    There is a local company, family owned and run with a chap who has been around since Daimler Benz brought out their first car. They manufactured my prop shaft for me when I swapped out the gearbox to a Getrag. They also do engine work and machining, gearboxes and differentials. Real old school. They must be old school as they are currently closed for their annual holiday!
    Anyway I’m going to give them a call on Tuesday when they return and see what they can do. Wimborne Motors.
    David.

Hope it goes well.

real steel also advertise the machining, current website price is £159/pr for exhaust seats but that’s at 2019 prices
    Roger

RamSC 351 Cleveland

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast