Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    - should have mentioned, I remembered incorrectly: no splines, but there are 'cones' on the Lotus' design that are key.
    No cones in contact with anything on cobra knock-ons - its just the drive pins and backface that provide the drive force, with the thread of the hub pulled under tension by the spinner.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

I have real life experience of a spinner coming off . Lucky he was only driving at 40 mph on a side road ! A 50 feet grooved marked tarmac showed the start and finish of his nightmare.
    The wheel was recovered from the field but we were lucky later to find the offending spinner which had snapped the locking wire which then came loose.
    Theory is o.k but always the practical shows you the true story.
    This vehicle the same thread on both sides . School boy error or theory put into practice of which wheels would fly off first !

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    This reminds me that I need to buy a BFLH (that's a Big F*cking Lead Hammer .. very different to the BFH I employ in every day workshop activities), locking wire and lock wire pliers..
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Quote Originally Posted by aaronjb View Post
    This reminds me that I need to buy a BFLH (that's a Big F*cking Lead Hammer .. very different to the BFH I employ in every day workshop activities), locking wire and lock wire pliers..
    Pop it on your Christmas list....that's what I did
    My brother was happy to oblige.

And don't be tempted with anything other than a Lead hammer - its kinder on the spinners and wont bounce off (it just slowly deforms over time).
    Here's Nick Acton's video on how to do up the wire:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dlMlW_Auh0
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Nice video - and funny to see different approaches (Nick holds it by the handle, Dennis says not to do that). I wonder if it has to be American Lead or if British Lead is OK?
    My DeDion build diary..

The hand of a centre lock wheel nut depends on it being a female nut enclosing the centre of the wheel (mostly) or a male nut entering the hole (Lotus Elan style). When the nut is not completely tight, contact between nut and wheel is only where the nut rests in the wheel. With a female nut, this is at the top. With a male nut, contact is at the bottom. Rotating the wheel causes a female nut to turn in the opposite sense by epicyclic action and a male nut to turn in the same sense. Therefore a male nut design (Lotus) has left hand threads on the left hand side. Most others with female nuts have left hand threads on the right hand side.

Chapman used to demonstrate the difference with an aerosol cap sitting in a roll of tape. If the cap is moved in a clockwise circular manner within the tape, representing the tubular part of a traditional wheel, the tape (nut) turns clockwise as well. If the tape is moved, representing an Elan style wheel resting on the nut, the cap (nut) rotates anti-clockwise.

I owe the description of epicyclic action to "Colin Chapman Lotus Engineering" by Hugh Haskell.

It is not necessary to beat the hell out of the spinner nut as it will self tighten as long as there is no continuous high speed reversing. If a nut comes off by itself, the hubs have been assembled on the wrong sides.

That's a brilliant explanation and demonstration! Then again, he was a brilliant chap.

Quote Originally Posted by JMcL View Post
    It is not necessary to beat the hell out of the spinner nut as it will self tighten as long as there is no continuous high speed reversing.
    So no J-turns, is what you're saying
    My DeDion build diary..

Quote Originally Posted by jon1d View Post
    I have real life experience of a spinner coming off . Lucky he was only driving at 40 mph on a side road ! A 50 feet grooved marked tarmac showed the start and finish of his nightmare.
    The wheel was recovered from the field but we were lucky later to find the offending spinner which had snapped the locking wire which then came loose.
    Theory is o.k but always the practical shows you the true story.
    This vehicle the same thread on both sides . School boy error or theory put into practice of which wheels would fly off first !
    I take it this was a Cobra rep?
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1 now on the road
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    - should have mentioned, I remembered incorrectly: no splines, but there are 'cones' on the Lotus' design that are key.
    No cones in contact with anything on cobra knock-ons - its just the drive pins and backface that provide the drive force, with the thread of the hub pulled under tension by the spinner.
    As far as I can see the only tapers on the Lotus setup are the same as ours ie taper on the wheel and the spinner.
    Kiel and Duncan (dad and the lad errr young man now)

AHP Crendon Chassis No 1 now on the road
    Ford FE 434, dual quad, Toploader total old school all the way
    https://www.crendonreplicas.com/
    http://www.absolutehorsepower.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-Art View Post
    Same car David minus hardtop?
    Look again. Different colour wheels and the livery is different.
    David.

Life is driving the Cobra. The rest of the time is just waiting................till I fix it!

Wessex region caretaker rep.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast