Header and Starter motor colision on LS3

Hi all,

Im sure Im not the only one but.....has anyone had any issues with the header down pipe fouling the starter motor?

Ive got an LS3 with a Proform starter which is pretty slim. Ive got the headers provided by GD, passenger side no problem but the drivers side touches the starter to the point that the starter cant be installed with the header in the way.

Im considering putting a dimple in the exhaust to clear the starter then wrapping a small section with exhaust tape to try not to fry the starter.

Anyone else had the same problem and if so, what did you do to solve it?

Thanks

So the purchase of the correct starter motor seemed to sort it lol

Good to hear you resolved. My starter is a good 2 or 3 inches away, so didnt have a clue why yours was so close.
    Russ

www.russhowell.com
    AK Cobra - LS3

Thanks Russ,

The original starter supplied was supposed to be "slim". However, I've replaced it with the GM (AC Delco) LS3 one and now have a good couple of inches, as it were!

Reading some other posts, I'm planning on making up a heat shield to stop it frying the solenoid.

I think a shield is a good idea if you have some space.
    I was told not to use a heat sock\blanket as although it stops it getting hot initially, it will also stop any cool airflow once your moving, so it will stay hotter for longer from its initial turn over.

Russ
    Russ

www.russhowell.com
    AK Cobra - LS3

A heat shield barrier should keep the starter cooler. I never like a blanket wrap idea as this stops circulating air. Some of the hi-torque starters are so small compared to standard motors and half the weight. It seems false economy to fit a larger standard starter motor and they suffer more from heat soak. Since I went to a high torque motor never suffered hot start turn over issues. I have a remote solenoid by passed the on board.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355