Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Radiator caps.

Radiator caps.

Something I’ve always taken for granted but I need to replace mine as it’s seeping when hot. What are the criteria to use when trying to find another? Diameter? Length from cap head to seal? Mine is a Stant 15lb with a pull up vent. There is a local American parts supplier near me but the first question they ask is what model is it from and it’s nigh on impossible to get someone to “go out the back” to have a look to match it nowadays. I bought a couple of nice stainless Fahler ones a few years ago but they both leaked. What are folks using? Vented, non vented and what pressure? Any particular supplier? Thanks.
    Dek

Could you go there with your current cap and ask for one the same dimensions?

Harrison racing supplies are not so far from you. Might be worth a call followed by a visit if they are amenable. Speak to Murray (but avoid weekends as they will likely be racing) http://www.harrisonsupplies.co.uk
    Website is rubbish but they sell good products and they know the performance V8 game. I have bought rads and caps from them.
    Failing that the agricultural market is quite useful! Have a look at https://www.malpasonline.co.uk/s/c/t.../radiator-caps as they give dimensions. You will see many vary by just a mm so sort of explains why some might weep.

PS. Massey Ferguson caps fit my cobra!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    Could you go there with your current cap and ask for one the same dimensions?
    You would think so Tony but it seemed too much trouble to look. I didn’t know if there was a catalogue that cross referenced dimensions against car model to make their search easier.
    Dek

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Harrison racing supplies are not so far from you. Might be worth a call followed by a visit if they are amenable. Speak to Murray (but avoid weekends as they will likely be racing) http://www.harrisonsupplies.co.uk
    Website is rubbish but they sell good products and they know the performance V8 game. I have bought rads and caps from them.
    Failing that the agricultural market is quite useful! Have a look at https://www.malpasonline.co.uk/s/c/t.../radiator-caps as they give dimensions. You will see many vary by just a mm so sort of explains why some might weep.
    Thanks for those suggestions Chris. Didn’t know about Harrison Supplies even though they are on my doorstep so might be worth a drive over to check them out. Frosts are my usual first port of call but since Covid they are only taking telephone orders, paid for over the phone followed by collection. Great if you know exactly what you want but not so good if you don’t. They were previously good at giving face to face advice and suggestions but like other businesses including GP’s it seems they’ve enjoyed the public free interface due to Covid and don’t want to return to pre-pandemic ways of working!
    Dek
    Last edited by Dek; 01-09-21 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    PS. Massey Ferguson caps fit my cobra!!
    I see what you mean about the measurements Chris in the Malpasonline catalogue. Very precise. Do you know what the height and width measurements refer to exactly?
    Dek

[QUOTE=Dek;610008]I see what you mean about the measurements Chris in the Malpasonline catalogue. Very precise. Do you know what the height and width measurements refer to exactly?
    Dek[/QUOTE

I have a Massey Ferguson here, will measure and see if we can tie it up. I am expecting the width to be the washer on the bottom of the spring and the overall height to be bottom of spring to top of cap. The crucial dimension is the seal on the underside of the cap to the bottom of the spring as compared to your radiator. Will take some dimensions tomorrow and see if we can make sense of it. If you are this way I have a few caps about we could try!!

I've had my micrometer out this morning (!)

All my caps are 77mm wide, that's the measurement across the little ears referred to in the Malpas listings. For information, although not quoted anywhere, the internal size of the top is 56mm. The cap that fits my car is the 28mm one (S.41517 in the Malpas list). I've seen this referred to as standard! In which case there are a lot of non standard ones that don't seal! The 28mm is measured from the bottom of the rubber washer to the top of the cap. Interestingly, the one that came with my header tank has a rubber washer on the underside of the cap - not all of them do, a lot have just metal. if you want to check your radiator/header tank my header tank has a 20mm recess measured from the top of the filler cap to the seat. So a 20mm recess with a 28mm cap is my set up. As the cap came with the tank I think we can assume that's right! Incidentally, it's a Champion cap and is 0.9 bar (or 13psi) but a 10 psi would probably be OK. I guess if you can get the fit then the pressure is the final stage.

For the cost, assuming you have a 20mm or close to it recess, is it worth buying the 28mm and the 29mm from Malpas to establish the fit? Although my money is on the 28mm (standard, haha) working!
    Dax with 1964 Dual Quad 427 and Toploader box

Dek,

To stand a chance you need a few dimensions. I guess there is no part no. on the Stant cap. Also a 16lb might do as its close enough. I know my cap is a standard old Ford cap 13lb as the expansion tank is a Ford part.
    You might have to work from the neck rather than the cap. The 26mm reach are also stated as 25mm as its a +- 2mm.

Cap measurements required.
    1. Rubber upper face too lower rubber face varies for short 22mm to long 26mm.
    2. Rubber lower seal size to seal off the hole.
    3. Top cap size. measure the neck dia of the housing.

There is a company which might be worth a visit
    https://www.nargroup.com/contact-us/

Nothing like dropping into a place who know there stuff. That is if they are seeing customers face to face.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast