Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CLUTCH problem

Was the replacement gearbox dialled in properly for concentricity? If it were far enough out then the input shaft could be dragging on the pilot bearing/bushing - that would make it hard (or impossible) to select gears with the engine running.

The other thing that came to mind was a pressure plate stuck to the flywheel - that usually only happens if the car is sat laid up for a long period, though
    My DeDion build diary..
    Hon Sec of the Digidash branch of the Unpopular Kit Car Design club

Beat me to it, partially seized clutch or broken spring/springs on the pressure plate caused by too much welly trying to "unstick" the clutch. If it's really stuffed, a combination of both.
    Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatwick Axe Man View Post
    Beat me to it, partially seized clutch or broken spring/springs on the pressure plate caused by too much welly trying to "unstick" the clutch. If it's really stuffed, a combination of both.
    Graham.
    Yet to remove gearbox as my Healey 3000 restoration project is taking up garage space at the moment, so Cobra under a cover outside.

But thoughts are it could be pressure plate spring falling and jamming, when I removed fork and tapped pressure plate there was a rattle?

If it's getting harder to change gear and now you are unable to get reverse it sounds a bit like it's not dialled in correctly and will be destroying your spigot bearing. This is what happened to me when I had a similar problem. As said though it could be that you haven’t got enough movement on the slave cylinder.
    Martin

351W 416.7 HP and 466.8 ft-lbs

Running Mega Squirt and Edis 8

Quote Originally Posted by TINKA View Post
    If it's getting harder to change gear and now you are unable to get reverse it sounds a bit like it's not dialled in correctly and will be destroying your spigot bearing. This is what happened to me when I had a similar problem. As said though it could be that you haven’t got enough movement on the slave cylinder.
    No slave cylinder, just cable.

What clutch is best with a SBC 5.0 engine and Rover R380 gearbox, has anyone got same set up.

I know the clutch wasn't changed when the R380 box was fitted to replace the LT77 box.

11" or 11 1/2" Chrysler clutch plate (it has the required 23 splines) and a chevy clutch cover to suit your flywheel. RealSteel used to do a kit especially for rover boxes on Chevy engines.
    BIG TONE

Mercedes SL owner, definitely NOT a kitcar owner like you lot!

Quote Originally Posted by tonym View Post
    11" or 11 1/2" Chrysler clutch plate (it has the required 23 splines) and a chevy clutch cover to suit your flywheel. RealSteel used to do a kit especially for rover boxes on Chevy engines.
    Thanks for info, I will contact RealSteel Monday

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234