Alternator fitting with LS3 engine

Alternator fitting and cutting the body with LS3.

What is the story behind mounting an alternator on LS3. I have seen on a 2008 AK the bonnet shut area cut away but the engines look lower mounted on later models. Would this of been the early Gen 1 and not a Gen 2. When did Gen 2 come along and what changes where made?
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355

Hi John,
    My kit is a Gen 2 delivered and built last year, and I had to cut out a small section of inner wing to allow a recess for the alternator.
    Personally I suspect this to be common, and even more so if you have a lined engine bay.

The tolerances when they stick in the inner arch\engine bay side are not low.
    I have seen a different bracket that sits the alternator much closer and lower to the engine but cant find the image right now.

Russ
    Russ

www.russhowell.com
    AK Cobra - LS3

my Gen 2 just needed a square hole cutting in the SS engine bay cladding.

AK can (or used to) supply a cover piece that you then fit in the wheel arch.

If I remember right, you need to fit the alternator after the engine's in the car (get your power steering lines fitted to the engine too before it goes in the car, they're a pain to fit after).
    Regards

Craig Perry

No, I'm not "repairing" it, I'm fine tuning its performance.

The photos I have attached show two different cars one which is cut away the bonnet shut line surely will allow water directly onto the alternator. Not good. Why has it been cut away is the question. Photos No 2 and No. 3 .

The other photo of another build shows it a lot lower and I guess intrudes into the cladding but not having the bonnet area cut away. .

I have seen a kit for LS3 which can relocate the alternator lower down and avoid doing any cladding work or is there not enough room due to the power steering ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jon1d; 16-09-21 at 04:20 PM.
    John Desz

Essex & Herts Area Rep. UKCC

Dax 351 Cleveland T5 2.88 PL

Events posted and meeting updates follow Face Book.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170236225077355