Front number plate position

Looking at photos of the front end of various cobras i notice on some the number plate is positioned on the bonnet, some on the front nudge bar and some fixed to the splitter bar. With my IVA test imminent it is my intention to fix my number plate to the splitter bar, at present i have no number plate but could fit a blank plate to comply with the IVA rules, it would also reduce the open space and sharp edge problem.
    Is this the correct way to proceed or should i just leave the front alone with the splitter plate and tell the inspector that the number plate will be fitted to the splitter when registered.

Quote Originally Posted by methoni View Post
    Looking at photos of the front end of various cobras i notice on some the number plate is positioned on the bonnet, some on the front nudge bar and some fixed to the splitter bar. With my IVA test imminent it is my intention to fix my number plate to the splitter bar, at present i have no number plate but could fit a blank plate to comply with the IVA rules, it would also reduce the open space and sharp edge problem.
    Is this the correct way to proceed or should i just leave the front alone with the splitter plate and tell the inspector that the number plate will be fitted to the splitter when registered.
    I seem to remember (and checked my photos of my IVA) I just simply didnt fit any sort of number plate for IVA, blank or otherwise. I may have mentioned in conversation with the tester that it would go on the mesh at the front and not require any more brackets but I'm not certain of that as it was a few years ago now

Regards

Dave A

Just tell the IVA guy it will be fitted to the splitter when registered. All they are interested in is there being a suitably sized vertical area that can take a plate.
    Cheers
    Steve

My missus asked me to build her a Cobra! – How good is that!

AK Gen2 chassis arrived 12/2/15 IVA Passed 2/7/18 on road 29/7/18
    http://stevesakcobrabuild.blogspot.com

Yeah
    I think that is the best solution, just keep it simple and keep on the right side of the IVA inspector.
    Thanks

But you need to make sure the spherical test object cannot enter the front opening. Either attach mesh or you will need bar(s) and/or a bank number plate to prevent this happening.
    Crendon Chassis No.49
    Huddart FE428 + toploader

Not listed in the Shelby Register.

Ironically a number plate if fitted would probs fail the 2.5mm radius and creat a fail point. Haha

Just leave off all together for IVA. Thats what i did also.

Just FYI - once you pass (good luck by the way!) a stick on plate on the nose cone is not technically legal. And it never has been.

E types and the like have them like this since the 60's but it seems to be an urban myth that cars of that era can run with plates like that. Mine has run like that for 20 years without issue with either the MOT or police...

I have friends with supercars who run without a plate at all

I've tried stick-ons twice. Both times they've shredded around the edges where the black frame is. Where's the best place to get a decent set. Had a set from the shows and another from southern Ireland, absolute rubbish!