Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks Kev and John
    Every day’s a school day! So the reason cars have bigger discs and pads is because they come with bigger callipers that have bigger pistons which provide a greater force on the bigger pads, the edges of which are further away from the axle centreline providing greater efficiency. Bigger pads. also provide better heat dissipation in the conversion of kinetic energy to heat during braking. If I’ve got all that right it doesn’t explain the advantage of chamfering such a large area of the pad furthest away from the axle centre line. I still can’t see the point of having a significant greater pad area when the pads are about half worn. Just to be clear I’m just replacing the pads on standard callipers and discs.
    Dek

I'm guessing that they have found that this design will 'wear in' to conform to the disc surface quicker if you start with a smaller area. The customer will not notice the new pads as much.
    Cheers

Myles D-W

There's many explanations about pad chamfer, but most cite eliminating noise (squealing) and vibration. Once the pad is worn in, the chamfer requirement drops. No system is perfect and pad contact area is a prime example. Flexing of the pad, alignment of the caliper and pad, all contribute to a pad wearing in at a slightly odd angle. Anyway, here's one article that talks about it:

https://www.ferodo.com/sa/blog/direc...rake-pads.html
    John

“A prudent person profits from personal experience, a wise one from the experience of others.”

Update. Following your inputs, especially John who provided useful links (thanks John) I decided against the heavily chamfered pads and took them back for a refund. If for no other reason if it does have to go back to the dealership again on their “complimentary health inspection” it will flag up as pads need replacing! Also I’m not really sure how they will compare with my existing pads so decided to play safe and replace with non chamfered. Thanks all.
    Dek

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12